Need spotting scope advice

SouthTXBowhunter

I'm finally in a position to buy a decent spotting scope but I'm not 100% on which one will be the best one for the money. I was pretty settled on a new Vortex Razor HD but then I saw a review of the Athlon Cronus spotting scope and it got me wondering. Below are the models I can afford - Under $2k. I can get all of these scopes in the range of $1400 - $1600, so pricing is comparable. Which one would you recommend and why?

Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85
Vortex Razor HD 22-48x65
Athlon Cronus ED 20-60x85
Leupold GR 20-60x80 (w/ impact reticle)

I'm a guide/outfitter in South Texas and I do some shooting out to maybe 1200yds. That's about as far as I can ever see to glass for animals around here; but I do, occasionally, get to go mule deer and elk hunting in the mountain states. I hope to do more of that in the future but I need a scope that's best suited to what I'm doing now. I like the idea of 60x but the low range of 27x (Razor 27-60x85) kinda concerns me - if a deer pops out at 250yds and I need to get on him quickly, I'm thinking 27x will make it significantly more difficult to find him vs. a scope that'll go down to 20x-22x. What do y'all think?

I'm open to other brands if you have suggestions

I'd shop around and find a deal on a Swaro. I owned a Mk 4 spotter for a couple years and I've spent a lot of time behind the 65 and 85mm Razors. I still had the Mk 4 when I bought the Swaro HD ATS 20-60x65mm and did side by sides with them along with the two Razors that my friends own. The Mk 4, which was a solid spotter, looked pretty entry level compared to the others. The 85mm Razor was almost as good as the 65mm Swaro but not good enough to make up for the extra size and weight. The 65mm Razor wasn't even close to the 65mm Swaro.

The important part to all of this, I paid $1700 new for my Swaro from Cabelas. Watch for sales or pick up a used one and be happy.

I'd shop around and find a deal on a Swaro. I owned a Mk 4 spotter for a couple years and I've spent a lot of time behind the 65 and 85mm Razors. I still had the Mk 4 when I bought the Swaro HD ATS 20-60x65mm and did side by sides with them along with the two Razors that my friends own. The Mk 4, which was a solid spotter, looked pretty entry level compared to the others. The 85mm Razor was almost as good as the 65mm Swaro but not good enough to make up for the extra size and weight. The 65mm Razor wasn't even close to the 65mm Swaro.

The important part to all of this, I paid $1700 new for my Swaro from Cabelas. Watch for sales or pick up a used one and be happy.

I'll keep my eyes open and if I happen to stumble across a deal like that I can always buy it and sell off whatever I've bought. But I've got the money for the ones I've listed and I want to purchase something now. Right now it looks like I'd have to add about $700+ to the price tags of the models I've listed. That's not worth it to me. Honestly, the models I've listed are all sufficient for what I need and the slight improvement is not worth the money to me. That's why I shoot $2k scopes instead of $4k scopes - they're just not "better" enough for me to want to spend the additional money to be in the "cool club."

This would be an excellent deal on a Razor.

WTS Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85 | Shooters' Forum

Yeah, if only it was an angled eyepiece. :(

I have a Vortex Diamondback...Didn't have the money for the Viper HD that I wanted, but it works great.

If you have the money, check out the Nightforce spotter...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...s-82-xtreme-hi-def-spotting-scope-20-70x-82mm

Above my budget, unfortunately. If I wasn't trying to finish a rifle build and get a Vortex AMG for it, maybe I could. Lol.

Razor line are good glass and always thought they were plenty good enough for me
Until last season. I'm sort of a trophy hunter not score but for mature good antlered critters. I spotted a buck at about 1&1/2 miles out with my Swarovski 15x. Pulled out the vortex razor spotting scope to see if it was a buck worth the hike. Couldn't tell anymore detail than I could with my 15's. Another guide buddy of mine had same experience on a elk hunt. Through a razor spotting scope he could tell it
Was a big framed bull at a long distance ( not sure of the exact distance). His hunter had a Swarovski spotter and could tell it was a 7x8 around 360ish .

What I've learned vortex razors are good but not quite there. If your
Going through to drop 1400-1600 I would look for used swaros
Or a lieca. When you increase power the quality of optics really shows.

I like vortex and have some of there scopes. The razors in 10x 50
Binos are so close to slc it's a wash, spotting scopes and the 15x binos it's a different story. Just my experiences

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts