Need Laptop Help!!!

DONTSTROKEME

I was using my laptop today and it started being slower and slower, then it said that it had sometype of a virus!!! Before I could get adaware opened it said that it was shutting down......now when I boot up it says

"ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM"

Now I don't mind this too much but it won't boot and I don't want to pay $200 to get it opened up again.

I can't remember how to open it in "Safe Mode"?

Any help?

Joe Oakes

That don't sound good
To boot into safe mode start tapping the F8 key after hitting the power button then select safe mode.

Tried the tapping thing and then tried the hold. It gave me the option to go to F1 Resume or F2 setup. That was off of the holding but there was nothing off of the tapping. BTB it is XP I'm pretty sure, but like most of us here the only thing I am good at it shooting things.

Joe Oakes

if your laptop should have come with some disc, find the one that says boot up or start up disc and run it, when the screen goes black after a few seconds of running then hold the f8 button, scroll up to safe mode hit enter, then hit enter on xp, I fiqured that much out but cant tell you what to do once in safe mode to fix it. Its sad my 12 yr old son taught me how to do that

That should be a 3 & 1/2 inch floppy start up disk that was made during original setup.

That is, if your machine has a floppy drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You might be able to set the computer back to a previous "restore point". Just look in the Help section in the start menu on how to do it, it has worked for me several times. I know this is a part of XP Pro but if you don't have Pro you may still look for it.

Also if you do a complete system reboot (using the disks) you will loose all the programs you downloaded outside of the stock programs and about everything else you have on the computer too.

Hi,

I don't want to give you bad news, but your opeating system was erased from Hard Drive. I got the same problem, few mo ago, and the only way to restore a fresh and clean system is to delete the partition and reformat the HardDrive (not in quick mode) and reinstall everything from scratch.
You could get you privat info out, but it is along time consuming process, and need your computer open and remove the HD and placed in another computer, before formating the HD.
Even if you will use like Easy Recovery Software to restore your operating system in few days you well back in the same point, because the virus is there.

Hope this one helps to save your time and money.

chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.