Need info on cal.

The Sac

Hello, I am new to this scene. Looking at a 7005r in 308 or 300win mag. which would be better built for 500 to 750 yard whitetail and elk kills. I do know I probably wont achieve a 750 yard elk kill with a 308. Which would be ok with me. But how is a 300win mag at that range. Graphs and charts don't always tell the story like people who've beat the brush and lived it. I would like to shoot longe range at paper to. Recoil shouldn't be a factor (I currently shoot a heavy 45-70 with hot rounds.) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I would like the accuracy of the 308, seems like a great round, and I know people try and scare you with recoil stories from a 300. So hard to decide. Thank you all. Go easy. I'm new. Thanks. I know bullet placement is important and the above mentioned yards are a work up to level. I plan on lots of practice. I hear the max range on a 308 is around 1000yards and 1400 ish on the 300. Could a elk shot to 700 even be possible with a 308. Or am I a dreamer. Thanks

Last edited:
Man, I gotta learn how to give an answer like that. No numbers, no controversy, completely tactfull, nothing but boom....splat. Loved the answer, and agree 100% with Derek M. Nuff said:D

I have the 700 5R in 308 and it is one of the best shooting, if not the best shooting gun I have. It honestly shoots .1's on its best days, and always less than .5's on its (or my) worst days. It is a great rifle for rock picking up to 1,000 yds. My personal opinion though is that it is marginal for long range work on elk at the ranges you mention. I can't speak from experience with shooting an elk at 750, my longest shot on a bull was 543, and that was with a 300 WM. I would think if you picked up a 5R in 300 WM, you would meet your expectations. Go big.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.