Need hunting loads for 7mm-08

LOBO

I have an early Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 that was my first centerfire rifle. It has the Schnabel fore-arm and the 18.5" barrel. I have had it put up in the safe for a while, but now I want to take it hunting some this year. What are some good loads to make for the 7mm-08? I will be deer hunting and would like to use 140-150 grain bullets. I have the common 308 win powders on hand. Thanks!

I've had great succes with 47gr of H380, WLR primer, with 140 Nosler Bal Tips in model 7. Very acurate and does a very good job on deer. It's also a pleasure to work with that powder. As with all loads work up to this monitoring for pressure. Good luck!

Lobo, If you like the Nosler 140 BT, try 50.0 gr Win 760 with a Rem 91/2 Mag primer. Load goes 2,780 fps out of my Model 7. Or use Jon Sundra's Model 7 load of 145 gr Speer bullet with 49.0 gr Win 760 with Rem 91/2 primer going 2,700 fps. I like the Speer bullet better than the Nosler BT. Or you could use the load with the new 140 gr Accubond. I think that the 760 is hard to beat in the 7/08.
Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am not a fan of the Ballistic tip's, but that data should do just fine with a Sierra 140 gr BTSP. Thanks for the info!

I have use H-414 with the 139 gr Hornady.
The load I use now and it performs excellant is the 145 Speer Flat Base with 49.0 gn of WW-760 and WLR primers.
I shoot this in my BLR w/20" barrel.

Freebore,
sounds good. Mine has the 18.5" barrel so I know it will lose alot of velocity. Our deer won't notice though, a big buck won't weigh over 180#'s around here.

Lobo, The 145 gr Speer has more integrity than the Sierra. I've had Sierras come apart just like the Ballistic Tips. The new Accubonds should work good also, especially at the 2700-2800 fps you'll be going.

Are you talking about the "regular" Speer bullets or the Grand Slams? If the regular I might have to give them a try.

In my stock Tikka 595 (no frills) rifle in 7mm-08 I am getting .5moa @ 200yds, regularely.

My favorite load is the 140gr B-Tip loaded .010" off the rifling. 47.0gr H4350 in a Lapua case with a Federal 210M does the job.

Don't have chrono, but kills lots of deer. Been reloading this cal since mid 80s. Also 48gr of H414 is excellent but exceeds some manuals(be careful work up slowly) with any 140 gr pill. Good Luck!!

Lobo, Yes, the regular 145 gr flat base hot cor bullet. This hot core is the forerunner of the bonded bullet. Stays together very well and very accurate. The 145 bt is not a hot core and uses conventional construction. I've had very good luck with the 145 gr hot core Speer.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.