Need help choosing a scope for my .280?

chrisC

I have a .280 Remington that I plan to hunt with in December out to about maybe 600 yards or maybe more, with plenty of practice. I at first was looking at a Vortex 4-16x50 Viper PST w/FFP (based on recommendations of this site) but it is a little out of my price range.

Now I am looking at a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest with a rapid Z 600 reticle. Just wondering, if you think this scope is enough for this cartridge and range.

Can any one who has this scope tell me your experiences with this type of reticle and scope in general.

I have an old Leupold 3-9x40 VX-II with friction adjustments and just want to upgrade.

Budget is around $500.

Dr. Vette,

Thanks a lot for your info. Just curious does the 50mm lens offer any advantages over the 44mm lens in the 4.5X14 power scope in your experience?

Not really.

I had a few rifles out today and compared my 44, my 50 as well as a couple of Vortex scopes. I said it to my shooting partner this morning as well - the Zeiss is an outstanding scope. I would not be surprised if I replace my relatively new Vortexes with Zeiss as funds become available. It's not that the Vortexes are bad, it's just that the Zeiss is that good.

My x50 is a "refurbished" unit from Cameraland and has had Zero issues so I would not hesitate to buy one again.

PS - back in 2008 I thought I was spending all the money you should ever spend on a scope when I bought a Leupold VX-II. It's still a great scope but I've learned so much about optics since then. When I bought my first Zeiss - the refurb from CameralandNY - it was painful to spend almost twice as much. Now I count pennies until I can save up for the next one. :D I bought a rifle recently partially because it had another Zeiss on it and the overall package price was too good to pass up (buy rifle, get $600 scope free). And, I would not say the the Swarovskis my partner shoots are worth 2-3x as much as what I spent on my Zeisses.

Dr. Vette,

Thanks a lot for your info. Just curious does the 50mm lens offer any advantages over the 44mm lens in the 4.5X14 power scope in your experience?

The 50mm objective will help in low light conditions (dawn and dusk) as the larger objective will transmit (scopes DO NOT 'collect') light.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.