Need assistance with a TL Hunter action not firing

Like I said before the three bare actions I have here all measure .042-.045. The one I have built up measures the same and my primers look nothing like yours. Do you by chance have deep primer pockets?

never measured them, will measure pockets and primers later.

I've had a heck of a time fire forming my 6 dasher after I changed out the ejector spring in the plunger to a stiffer one. Even with a false shoulder my rounds wouldn't fire with CCI 450s. If the TL action has a plunger type ejector remove it for the fire forming. Once I did that no issues. Then just put the ejector back in when you're done.

About three years back I purchased a new Win 70 EW. It was failing to fire every round. The ones that did not fire had light dents in the primer. Sent back to Win & they said they replaced a weak firing pin spring. Has worked fine since then.

Since you said .42" protrusion, fixing that is step one which it sounds like you are waiting on the replacement. If the problem persists, then you move onto other things.

With proper pin protrusion, and that action, a failure to fire would indicate ether the case isn't fully seated on the bolt face, or something a little less obvious like improper pin travel or a weak mainspring.

When sizing brass for wildcats or some standard cases that need extensive fire forming, I usually size the brass for a snug fit with some bolt handle resistance. That is usually achieved by neck sizing.

Here's the cautious part....
Then take the sized case, make sure your barrel is clear, load a primer into the empty case (visually checked), point in a safe direction, and fire the primer. Wear ear protection, its loud. Easy way to test for pin function without firing a round. (Warn anyone around too)

I just sent some 223 rounds back to Hornady that we're doing the same thing primers did the same thing in all three of my 223 come to find out the shoulder was pushed to far back on the brass and the round would push forward and leave a light primer strike ( just food for thought )

I had the same problem with a Kimber 84M, .308W. Fail to fire, with a tiny dimple on the primer. I checked out the pin protrusion and found it to be .052, OK. Still no bang. Then I stripped the bolt & cleaned up everything and looked for signs of the spring scraping on inside of bolt, like wear marks on spring. Finally, I disassembled the pin, bolt shroud, and cocking piece then fit a steel washer between the shroud and back of the firing pin spring. The washer is .035 thick and I turned it to size by spinning it on a mandrel while grinding it with my Dremel. The washer is the same diameter as the firing pin spring. This increased the spring tension.

My objective was to increase spring tension - it worked. I dove into my modest primer stash and selected a variety - CCI, Win, Rem, Fed, Fiocchi (great under-rated primers) of both magnum & standard. Soon I had 80 rounds of ammo loaded mostly 150 FMJ. I selected my old standby H380 (once an orphan powder but now in demand because of the present emergency, flying off shelves like the rest). It was cold at 35* and all 80 rounds went bang. Head space was sort of on the generous side. No problems since. No defective ammo, no excessive head space, no tough extra thick pin proof primers, no wet primers, no obstructions inside bolt, no frozen lubes or crud - all this was checked out before inserting the .035 washer which increased spring tension. A slightly longer spring would also accomplish an increase in spring tension.

Not sayin this would be a fix but worthy of consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.