Need an update on scent technology and bugling season

wildcat westerner

Fresh from hospitals, I find my partner and I have drawn Muzzleloading tags for Mobile impaired Bulls during the rut. Only 22 tags in entire area. I had been a serious Senior member of the Pope and Young club, but that was 40 years ago. My partner knows area well and is a good bugler.
This scent blocker technology did not exist when I hunted. I would appreciate any serious insights as to hunting an area that does not have the Elk numbers it had 10 years ago, but the genetics are excellent. This will surely be one of my last hunts. Thank you

I consider myself a serious archery elk hunter. I don't claim to be a trophy hunter and not trying to convince anyone that I consider myself a good hunter. But one thing that I do believe is that keeping the wind right is by far more effective than any scent blocker. I'm sure that some will claim to have seen a measure of success with the scent blockers but in my years of hunting I've seen some crazy things happen. Sometimes I was using some kind of scent blocker and at times I wasn't. I finally came to the conclusion that I worry about the wind and let the chips fall where they may. Best wishes, good luck on your hunt and above all be safe and have fun.

Agree on hunt into the wind. Not sure if any have watched the episode of Myth Busters, but they did a whole show on scent blockers. To include tyvek and rubber suits washed down, reverse flow respirator (filters the air going out vs coming in), brand new washed down rubber boots and every other possible over the top measure to beat the nose of a blood hound.
No measure or even a combination of all measures were even close to fooling the dog.

Wind is key, but I employ scent lock clothing as well. As you know there are thermals and winds shift and eddy, so I want every edge I can have. But if you employ scent loc, make sure you control all scent. Boots, socks, gloves, face masks, spray your packs and other equipment. And as the moment draws near, breath through your nose. Scent control is something you do all the way or don't do at all.

I consider myself a serious archery elk hunter. I don't claim to be a trophy hunter and not trying to convince anyone that I consider myself a good hunter. But one thing that I do believe is that keeping the wind right is by far more effective than any scent blocker. I'm sure that some will claim to have seen a measure of success with the scent blockers but in my years of hunting I've seen some crazy things happen. Sometimes I was using some kind of scent blocker and at times I wasn't. I finally came to the conclusion that I worry about the wind and let the chips fall where they may. Best wishes, good luck on your hunt and above all be safe and have fun.

Good words, I've hunted and lived in elk country for close to 45 years, to date I've not seen one person worrying about anything but the wind....

I'm not trying to knock anyone's opinions, but I don't know any serious hunters that believe in or use any scent blocker products.

No matter what you are wearing or spraying, you are still producing human scent. You can't put yourself in a hermetically sealed bubble.

If elk were wearing clothes/sprays that were advertised as scent eliminating, they'd still smell like an elk. And we can't smell elk as well elk can smell us.

It's all about the wind.

I own hunting clothes made by Scent Lok but it's more for the quality of clothes than any so called ability to cover your scent which I think is impossible…. Think about it, everyone has to breathe and when you inhale/exhale you are constantly releasing scent. The wind is your best bet. Now I've had deer
(even big bucks) come from straight down wind and not have a care in the world and I've had em pick me off from a long ways away. I don't believe you can beat an elk or a deer's nose. I do believe that depending on the animal, they may not always spook when they smell ya, but some you won't even know they were near and they will get a whiff of ya and will be gone (might snort/blow/stomp, or might not say a word).

Fresh from hospitals, I find my partner and I have drawn Muzzleloading tags for Mobile impaired Bulls during the rut. Only 22 tags in entire area. I had been a serious Senior member of the Pope and Young club, but that was 40 years ago. My partner knows area well and is a good bugler.
This scent blocker technology did not exist when I hunted. I would appreciate any serious insights as to hunting an area that does not have the Elk numbers it had 10 years ago, but the genetics are excellent. This will surely be one of my last hunts. Thank you

I hate to sound like a fool but, what are "Mobile impaired Bulls"?