Need advice on Savage build

Jeremyc

My dad has wanted a 25-06 for as long as I can remember. He has a Savage 110 in a 270 and I would like to turn it into a long range rifle for him. I'd like to use a Schilen barrel I think and I am open to stock ideas. I think that he would like a laminated thumbhole stock. Would I need a gunsmith to do the work? I have done some glass bedding stocks and minor gunsmith work right now I am trying to figure out what parts I would need and the cost.

Thanks
Jeremy

You can change the Savage barrel yourself. All really needed is a set of go/no gauges for the caliber you want to change to. In this case it would be 25-06. (I can make you a deal on those if you would like.) Next all you need is a action wrench and a wrench for the barrel nut. Jim at North Land Shooter Supply sells Shilen and Criterion barrels along with the wrenches. He is a good person to deal with and will explain the barrel change process to you.

Stocks? Well you seem to have a good handle on that.

As far as the go/no go gauges. Some folks will undoubtedly tell you that all you need is a go gauge and can use a piece of tape so that the go gauge can double as a no go gauge. Don't do it. It is much more accurate, safe, and reassuring to have a go and no go gauge.

You need to get to know Jim at http://northlandshooterssupply.com/
Sometimes he is a little slow getting back to you, but when you get him he is all ears
and will set you up with what you need. It is worth the wait to talk to him.

Good luck on your project.

Jeremyc,
As Barrelnut said the savage barrel swap is cake. I recently built a 7mm with a shillen on a savage 110 and did the swap myself just as Barrelnut described, it was a piece of cake, fun project also.
Stock selection was very limited for the savage long actions, I went with the Bell and Carlson. I really wish there was a better selection.

If you plan to use this long range rifle for hunting there is a couple of things you might want to consider.

Several years back I built a short action Savage with a Boyd's thumbhole laminated stock, which I added pillars & bedded...Real accurate and looks great...Problem that when used as a hunting rifle the operation of a Savage safety is clumsy at best. On a Remington the position of the safety would be better but with the Savage you have to completely remove your thumb from the hole to release or apply the safety.

One of my long action Savages has the B&C medalist sporter which is a very solid stock with the full aluminum bedding block...Very good value from Stocky's (at least it was a couple of years ago). Also not real heavy for a hunting rifle.

My $.02,
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.