Need a new bullet choice for .243 that i can actually get.

Absolute Hunters like fast powder if I'm not mistaken. @ButterBean may have a load for the 243 he uses or some advice. There's a entire load data page here also for the Absolute load data.
I've been eyeing it and the .243 69 and 87 AH still don't have any load data. I guess I can be the first

Looking for another bullet choice for my .243 Win. I built the rifle up last September, (origin action, 24" kreiger SS 1/8" twist, manners EH1A stock) and started loading some sierra TGK/gamechangers. Well come the first of the year I can't seem to locate the gamechangers anywhere. Now it's getting over half way through the year and im starting to panic.

So what would everyone suggest? I would like to try the ELD-X, but they can't seem to be found either. Im looking at staying in the 90-105gr weight range. Currently I'm pushing my TGK 3065 fps with a good load of H4350.

I've found berger 95 and 105gr VLD hunting, but I've never messed with berger bullets. I know some swear by them but I've always heard they're pretty particular about seating depth and with the shortage we're currently in, I'd rather not blow through a couple hundred dialing something in.
I'd go with berger 105 hunting vld. They aren't in the slightest fussy and very effective on pigs in my case. They work great as a target round also.

A survey of various sources indicates a shortage of 6mm bullets. Some mono core, 112-115, Hornady A-Tip, 62 V-Grenades, 68 bench rest & 70 Varmedegon bullets are out there. Cup & core bullets between 87 and 107 grains are not there with the exception of the pedestrian 100 grain Hornady SPBT. Before being eclipsed by the 6mm XC, & 6mm Creedmore, the old 1955 .243 won many competitions with 107 Sierra MK's & 4350 powders. Should the 4350 powders not be available 4000MR is an excellent .243W powder with 87-105 bullets. StaBall should be another, but I never used it in a .243W. I shot some nice high X scores at 600 using 107 Si MK's & IMR 4350. The high quality 6mm 105 Barnes Match burner might be available to use with 4000MR & 8 twist (not trendy but capable).

Just remembered,, last PM Cabello's had some 6mm 105 Hornady HPBT's - a worthy bullet, shoots great out of my 8 twist 6mm.s. Miller Sg for 10 twist about 1.0 so might not shoot so good.

Last edited:
Have you used this one personally - the 95 SST? Not to kill the idea, but my observations with this bullet is that they tend to be more explosive than the Bergers. Saw one that vaporized out of my wife's cousins 30/06 before it got to the deer. With OP'ers faster twist and expected velocity it would make them vulnerable in my opinion. You'll want to pick your shots carefully with these, I think. I'm sensitive to always bringing up Hammers as it seems some feel it's over-promoted, but I can't help but think for the intended ranges, it'd be hard to beat. Easy to load, tune, high velocity, full penetration, usually very accurate, available tomorrow, and reliably get the job done. The 8 twist should work with the 88 gr HH and really rip them out. No fails with our little 223 Win and 52 gr HH's at 3,400. Perfect whitetail medicine, out to about 400 yds (1800 fps)! Just mind the recommended twist. Just my humble non-authoritative considerations...
I ran 105 SST for deer and coyotes with max charges out of my 6xc. I never crono'd it but they were spun out of a 10 twist barrel. They worked great never seemed to explode for me. Worked just as good out of an 8 twist 6 creedmoor as well.

I ran 105 SST for deer and coyotes with max charges out of my 6xc. I never crono'd it but they were spun out of a 10 twist barrel. They worked great never seemed to explode for me. Worked just as good out of an 8 twist 6 creedmoor as well.
Glad to hear. Have you punched a shoulder with them? I think the case I saw was likely a bit of an anomaly, but it still gave me some pause about pushing them too hard. Don't want to kill it off of one experience, but you know how it is - when you see something it makes an impression, fair or not fair. By all means, use what works for you. 😉

Sorry but I didn't read all the replies but my favorite bullet is the 115 g D Tacs from David Tubb they have a .620 g1 coefficient and they shoot great I have shot them in a 6 22-250 at roughly 2965 and a 6 Creedmoor at 3150. They will do great if they are available

Recent Posts