need a good scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by grit, Mar 23, 2005.

1. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I was recently introduced to the long range world. Over the last several weeks I've been experimenting and reading. My question is, is there a scope that will fill the long range requirements: repeatability,paralax adjustment, 4-16 magnification, enough elevation adjustment,etc., for say $5-600?
    Thanks

2. sakofan

sakofan Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I was recently introduced to the long range world. Over the last several weeks I've been experimenting and reading. My question is, is there a scope that will fill the long range requirements: repeatability,paralax adjustment, 4-16 magnification, enough elevation adjustment,etc., for say $5-600?
    Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend the Nikon Monarch. Not sure how much "up" you require though. But the monarch would probably suit you..sakofan....Welcome to LRH!!!!!!

3. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

Maybe you want to look at the Zeiss lineup. Great target knobs, glass and good old German manufacturing. I had a Nikon also but sold it and put the Zeiss on it, not that the Nikon was bad, the Zeiss is just better IMO.

4. sakofan

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you want to look at the Zeiss lineup. Great target knobs, glass and good old German manufacturing. I had a Nikon also but sold it and put the Zeiss on it, not that the Nikon was bad, the Zeiss is just better IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest the Conquest too, but I thought it would put him over his budget somewhat..sakofan.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. grit

grit Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'll check them both out.

6. grit

grit Well-Known Member

I looked at both the scope lines. Nikon makes a 4-12 and a 5.5-16.5 in the Monarch. I would prefer nothing greater than 4 power on the bottom, and higher than 12 power on the top. Nikon also makes a 4-14 side focus in the Buckmaster line, is this a good scope? Zeiss makes a 4.5-14 in the Conquest, but they only put the nice target knobs on the 6.5-20. The knobs on the 4.5-14 looked rather cheesy.

Any suggestions??

7. bailey1474

bailey1474 <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

The 4.5-14x50 conquest has the good knobs that are on the 6.5-20x50.

8. sakofan

I'd stick with the Monarch.
    As much as I liked my Buckmaster, the Monarch is really a better optic.

The Conquest has good knobs too, as the previous poster suggested....sakofan...

9. longrange223

longrange223 Well-Known Member

i got an 8-32x50 burris black diamond listed here that could be bought for $500 plus shipping,excellent long range &amp; bench scope,target turrets &amp; adj a/o