Need a CDS style system that works & doesn't weigh a ton

excaliber

I need a new rifle scope. I currently have a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 1" tube CDS on my semi custom 300 Win Mag.
The scope has already been back to Leupold for erector issues so I know it's a matter of time before it happens again. This is a hunting rifle for shots out to 800+ yards. Currently my dial only goes out to 775 yards.

I really like the way the CDS system works. Range dial and shoot. I don't want to deal with MOA and having charts and cheat sheets trying to figure out how many clicks I need for elevation and windage.

I see Huskamaw also has a yardage type system but not sure who else makes a scope with the yardage turrets. Most seem to be setup as MOA.

I'd like to keep the weight down if possible.

Any recommendations?

Most of the newer scope companies, or through a 3rd party, can make you a yardage based turret if you supply all the ballistic info. Burris, Nightforce, Sightron, Vortex, etc. your current scope is less than 20 oz, which is why many people like the Leupolds for hunting rifles. Most tactical style scopes will be 24-32 oz range.

I think my current scope only weighs 13 oz and going to a larger obj Nightforce would add over a lb in weight. (18 oz) on a NXS 5x22x50.

Checkout the vx5HD 3-15x44. The ZL2 turret is supposed to have better tracking than their previous scopes. Excellent glass quality, and only 19 oz.

I need a new rifle scope. I currently have a Leupold VX-3 4.5x14x40 1" tube CDS on my semi custom 300 Win Mag.
The scope has already been back to Leupold for erector issues so I know it's a matter of time before it happens again. This is a hunting rifle for shots out to 800+ yards. Currently my dial only goes out to 775 yards.

I really like the way the CDS system works. Range dial and shoot. I don't want to deal with MOA and having charts and cheat sheets trying to figure out how many clicks I need for elevation and windage.

I see Huskamaw also has a yardage type system but not sure who else makes a scope with the yardage turrets. Most seem to be setup as MOA.

I'd like to keep the weight down if possible.

Any recommendations?
Most likely you'll not live long enough to see it go back for another problem. I've even got 30 year old VX2's that have never failed and none of my Mark IV's VX-3, VXIII, VX-6 or VX-7's have ever failed.

If you can find an old VX7 with the popup turrets you'd probably love it and if you can't the VX-6's have been great for me too.

It always sucks to be the guy that had the one in a million problem but I wouldn't worry about a repeat because it's just not likely to happen.

You can break anything if you try but in my experience you really have to try to break a Leupold.

I understand the loss of confidence. I had a VXIII 4.5-14X40 that went back 2 times...never made it to the field. Caused me to sell my 4.5-14X40 Tactical and others. I still only have one of them, a VXIII 3.5-10X50 on my .270 High Wall. It has elevation turret issues. Hate to send it is since it is no longer available.

There are many out there that feel like WildRose does, and rightfully so. The lemon just left a bad taste for me.

I don't think anyone has thrown this out there, but Nikon has the XR turrets. I have a pro staff 5 and a monarch 5 that has the XR turrets. When you buy the scope you get one free turret with the purchase of your scope.

The fact that there are about 3 gazillion people that make scopes with MOA/MIl adjustments, and only 2 people that make what you're looking for ought to tell you something. Perhaps everyone else has figured out something that you haven't just yet.....

Sig Sauer whiskey 5 comes with a ballistic turret. You have to send them your dope but they make it

Nikon's XR turret work's great. As with any turret you need to have accurate information to get an accurate turret. I have 3 and they work grreat. Here's some pic's of a buddies rifle wearing a MONARCH 5 with a custom turret. He has whacked 8 inch plates at 700 yards using his rig.

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-18%20at%2012.57.36%20PM.png

Nikon's XR turret work's great. He has whacked 8 inch plates at 700 yards using his rig.

There is no intent here to single out Nikon over any other brand, but what happens if your buddy ever tries to do that at another elevation, or with different atmospheric conditions?

Twist that custom dial up to 700 yards, I bet he's not gonna be whacking anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.