Need 100% honest fact based answers.

DartonJager

Was over at Precision reloading and just looking around for nay new threads that could increase my limited reloading knowledge when I came across a thread that really shocked me.

I have branched out my shooting and now are trying to become proficient to 700 yards, the max range within a frequently acceptable drive . I have invested in better optics and higher quality reloading components (Norma Brass namely) as well as Forster reloading dies.

While at Precision reloading saw a thread about a guy having issues with his Foster BR resizing die crushing or bulging his necks and all he went through in trying to solve the issue. He was VERY critical of Forster's CR service and eventually gave up and disposed of the dies. He said he fallowed the directions exactly but to no avail. Even sent the die back, and the returned one still bulged his case necks. He said he was using Hornady spray case lube as do I. I have reloaded well over 2k cases both bottle neck and straight walled brass with absolutely zero problems, on both single stage and progressive presses.

Now one persons bad experience is of course is no where near enough reason to think any product is no good, but the number of people who responded negatively about Forster sizing dies and Forster's CS frankly shocked me.

I have spent 100's of hours on line trying to learn how to become the best reloader I can and based on HUGE numbers of positive reviews choose Foster BR bullet seating dies over Redding or RCBS.

My reloading of bottle neck cartridges now is essentially body sizing with a Redding body only sizing die and sizing the necks with a Lee Collet die and seating the bullets with a Forster BR bullet seating die. So far it has given me excellent results.

So has anyone else here experienced issues with their Forster BR sizing dies crushing or bulging the necks of their brass, or any issues with Forster sizing dies and anyone received poor CS from Forster in dealing with a die problem?

Like I said i was shocked. I was lead to believe Forster dies were a cut above.

I know if you have the expander too high in the die it will crush/bulge the neck.
All you need to do is lower it and the problem goes away.
It is much different in position on the shaft compared to other brands. A lot higher actually.
Really should be common sense not to have the expander so high...but people are oblivious to the problems THEY cause at times.

Cheers.

There is nothing wrong with Forester Dies they are one of the best die sets made. Their CS is also good.
There are some people who can not operate a garden hose. I have several sets of BR Forester dies and they preform as a premium set of dies should. Don't worry about everything you read on the internet. Sometimes those posts attract the vultures just like a road kill.

+1 @MagnumManiac

Over the years I have used RCBS, Lee, Redding, Hornaday and Forster. These days my first choice is Forster, wish I would have known about them from the beginning. You made a good choice, OP, don't sweat it.
I'm not at all worried I made a bad purchase I was just wondering if issues with Forster dies, or if anyone had found them to be problematic to use as I haven't.

Thank you for your response.

There are lots of guys that have had that problem, but with all brands of dies. The common denominator was the Hornandy oneshot case lube, either people love it or hate it, theres not much in-between. First off the guy needs to clean his dies spotless, especially if he has previously used a different lube in them before the Hornandy oneshot lube, it doesn't mix well with other lubes. I personally don't care for it I use Imperial case wax and Dry lube. If you research it its not hard to find this problem. As far as Forster dies they are great, I use both their seizing dies and especially their Micro seating dies for a lot of my MR and LR F-Class reloading along with LRH ammo and they work great.

There are lots of guys that have had that problem, but with all brands of dies. The common denominator was the Hornandy oneshot case lube, either people love it or hate it, theres not much in-between. First off the guy needs to clean his dies spotless, especially if he has previously used a different lube in them before the Hornandy oneshot lube, it doesn't mix well with other lubes. I personally don't care for it I use Imperial case wax and Dry lube. If you research it its not hard to find this problem. As far as Forster dies they are great, I use both their seizing dies and especially their Micro seating dies for a lot of my MR and LR F-Class reloading along with LRH ammo and they work great.

I stopped using One Shot after sticking two cases in my Redding dies. Then, Used Imperial for a long time with no problems; now use Hornady Unique.

All of my Forster FL dies, I have a die for each barrel and this takes up a whole level on my shelves in my loading room, all have honed necks to suit the brass being used and also have expanders that only move the neck .001" max. The mandrel takes care of the rest. I can actually use my d without the expander, but they take care of any die induced runout.
I get better runout than using a bushing...I sold all my bushing dies years ago.
I also use their BR Micrometer seater, best on the market that I have used. I have RCBS & Redding to compare to.

Cheers.

There is nothing wrong with Forester Dies they are one of the best die sets made. Their CS is also good.
There are some people who can not operate a garden hose. I have several sets of BR Forester dies and they preform as a premium set of dies should. Don't worry about everything you read on the internet. Sometimes those posts attract the vultures just like a road kill.
I use forster benchrest dies for every cartridge I own, I don't however use spray lube. I prefer to use them without the expander and spindle, and follow with a lee collet mandrel neck die to keep runout minimal. Their bullet seater with long sleeve is the best in my opinion as well. Can't comment on their CS as I've never needed to use it to this point for any reason. 17 year benchrest die user.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.