Necking down and changing shoulder angle?

Steve,
No sweat, I'll be in the same boat again here soon too.
smile.gif
I'm headed back over to finish up the bushings, we got one of them made up yesterday that started the body/shoulder junction out with the 40 degree angle and sqeezed it in to .483", the next one is going to be .437" and the next .390", if I remeber correctly. That should form the shoulder easily.

I polished the bushings real well and that made a huge difference. I started out with a 17/32" drill bit (.530") and reground the angle to 40 degrees per side, this was used to bore the part that slides over the shoulder and maintain the shoulder angle. After we turned down the bushings OD to .625" and bored a starter hole in the bar-stock, this .530" hole was drilled so the sleeve hangs down over the shoulder .200".

The .530" hole was then opened up to .542" with an inside cutting tool so it would fit tight on the case body.

The final hole was bored to .483", then the bushing was cut off at .850" in length.

Done with the first one, on to the other two.

He has a little Atlas lathe, made by Clausing we are using for this. It's small but, it works alright for small stuff. No crossfeed he said, so the drillbit worked out fine for doing the angle on the shoulder.

Well, off to finish them up. I'll let you know how they work out.
smile.gif
Learning alot just playing around with this forming stuff, keeping the necks straight and sized evenly seems about the hardest part.

Here's a pic of my final forming of the 30/338 Lapua 40deg Imp.

The last bushing (final one on the right)is all it took to form the whole thing in one pass, the others were all needed to form the WSM length case on the left.

fc15de39.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts