Necking down cases ...

Them's both some pretty short little bastards aren't they.
grin.gif
Thanks for the details.

What kind of performance is Ken getting with his, he told me a few months ago and I completely forgot, as did I what it was even based on. I wasn't really interested in anything 6.5 then but, my dads 6.5wsm has really gotten my "attention" since then.
shocked.gif
smile.gif

My smith in Anchorage has one almost identical to the one you have, his is 2.1" in length and has well over a .400" long neck. He was getting 3230 fps with a Berger 140 in a 30" tube. He cut the tube back an inch at a time and recrowning, recording velocity down to a 20" tube where he ended up with 3050 fps. Throat errosion was .007" in 575 rounds with the longer neck on this one as compared to .100" errosion in 100 rounds in the one he did with a real short neck like the WSM's have. Both had 40 degree shoulders.

[ 05-05-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

I think I will send these dies back to hornady to see what they can do for me.. As for case lube I have tried the RCBS case slick spray lube also used there lube pad as well as Hornadys One Shot spray lube.. One thing I forgot to mention was when I used alot of lube it would actually collapse my shoulders.. Another intresting thing I noticed was after i cleaned the die really good the very first one would run up so easy it was almost to easy.. But the second one tightened right up not to the point where you have to force it but more snug then the first one.. I can tell you when I run one up if it will stick or not becouse I can hear it make a creeeek sound once I hear that I no its stuck no matter what I try and again the pull is snug and smooth no force needed..

6.5 Bandit

6.5 Bandit,
It kind of "sounds" like you're only lubing the first case you start with and not the others. You are lubing "each" case, aren't you? Not trying to insult your intelligence, as you may full well know not to be doing anything of the sort while FL sizing.
wink.gif

I only ask because this is exactly what happens if I try and get away with only lubing every other case, the second one sometimes will "creek" a little, as it needed more lube. I still have never "stuck" a case yet. Here I'm crossing my fingers and knockin on wood!

The finish could easily need to be polished to reduce friction.

[ 05-06-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]

Brent,

Yes as a matter of fact I am lubing every case.. I will tell you that the first time I got it stuck I did not lube it so i figured that was the issue and every time after that I have been lubing every case and not skipping one just to make eliminate that issue.. Good thinking though
smile.gif
would of been easily missed..

6.5 Bandit

Good luck. I'm thinking there's something wrong with the die now, has to be. Can you visually see anything unusual inside it, ridges, rough or not enough taper, which would be highly unlikely but, hell you never know. You're cases aren't coming out bannana shaped are they? Uneven heat treatment maybe.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.