Neck wall thickness

Kasey1

I like to outside neck turn all my virgin brass, try to get things even. My question is my virgin rem brass is .012-.014 what would be the minimum thickness I could safely go?
It is 7STW. Thanks, Kasey1

It depends on what chamber you have in your rifle.

Are you using a factory chamber?

If so you should only turn off enough to clean up around 80% of the diameter of the necks. The general intent is to make all necks the same thickness to cause similar neck tension and release. To take off more than this with a "sloppy" factory neck dimension will cause the necks to prematurely a split do to work hardening.

----------------

Is it a custom chamber?

Did a gunsmith use a reamer with a "no turn neck" size? If so it will have much tighter dimensions and you should be able to turn off enough metal for a 100% cleaned up neck.

---------------------------

Or do you have a tight neck chamber dimension which requires you turn the necks?

The neck must be turned to allow the brass to fit. A specified dimension requires necks should be turned with at least a .0015" clearance on each side for bullet release or for hunting at least .002-.003" and in some instances .004 per side is recommended.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.