Neck tight on fired brass

Onesock

So when I take a piece of fired brass and try to slide a bullet in the fired brass the top of the neck is very tight. Once the bullet gets past the initial opening of the neck it slides in easily.
On all of my other calibers the bullet slides in without any force. Anyone have any ideas?

So when I take a piece of fired brass and try to slide a bullet in the fired brass the top of the neck is very tight. Once the bullet gets past the initial opening of the neck it slides in easily.
On all of my other calibers the bullet slides in without any force. Anyone have any ideas?
check and see if the case mouth is getting dented in on ejection I have seen this happen before

The answer in not to trim it further!

Was it crimped?

Not sure why you are trying to slide a proj into a fired case mouth anyway other than curiosity?

Just resize it, the dies expander will smooth it out for when you then re seat.

But yes you need to chamfer the inside of the case mouth as well.

If it is hard to start into the case then gets easy, you could have two, maybe three, things causing it.

If you measure your bullet you could find it is slightly larger at the base of the bearing surface than it is on the rest of the bearing surface, this is normal for some bullets.

If you measure your case you could find the neck tapers to a larger diameter toward the shoulder, this is normal for some chambers.

The third thing is your chamber to case neck clearance could be a little tight or the case mouth needs a chamfer on the inside.

What cartridge is it?

Last edited:
The brass is already trimmed shorter than the trim length in the manual but I will trim 10 thou shorter and try it.
Thanx

Sometimes the chamber it's self is cut shorter than Sammi spec. and will cause this. It could also be a carbon build up in the end of the neck chamber not allowing the case to expand in that location.

It is very hard to diagnose your problem without actually looking at it. so all we can do is give clues as to what it might be.

Whatever is causing it the/a bullet should be able to slip in the case mouth after firing, if not the case is not fully releasing the bullet and some pressure will result from it.

J E CUSTOM

Since cases are properly trimmed and not overly crimped, you may want to look at neck turning your cases.

In a few cases (pun intended) the case mouth doesn't expand fully and stays close to bullet diameter...have seen this quite often with low and middle loads.if you look at a fired case under a magnifier, the case mouth curls inward.
This is normal in some instances.

Cheers.

I've had it happen when necking down 284 Win brass to 6x284. That was long before 6.5x284 was even a twinkle in some ones eye. I've never really figured out why it does it, but after 2 or 3 firings, they began staying straight. Maybe work hardened at the mouth from necking down in 2 steps and being a bit more springy is all I can come up with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.