Neck splitting

Inpursuit

I have a 223 that about 95% of the cases have the neck split any suggestion as to the cause. It does it with reloads and factory rounds.
Thanks Bill

Can you post a picture of the split brass? I have never heard of factory first ammo having split necks after firing. Maybe your throat is waaaay oversize? can you measure the necks of the rounds pre and post firing and see what you get?

Try annealing. You may have overworked brass needing heat treatment.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree that annealing would be the remedy for split necks. The way the OP reads, it sounds like factory ammo is showing split necks after firing? Or do the necks split when reloaded after one firing? In either case, something is out of whack, annealing should not be necessary after one firing ...

Some additional information on your factory ammunition would be helpful. Is the factory ammunition aftermarket. IOW, has the factory ammunition been reloaded from previously fired brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.