Neck Shot Disappointment

I roasted Clem for trying to force his ethics on others.
Where in my post did I force my ethics on him? I don't tell anyone what shot to take- that is entirely up
I roasted Clem for trying to force his ethics on others.
Where in my post did I force my ethics on him? I don't tell anyone what shot to take- that is entirely up to them.
I think there is passion in Clem's post the same that is in 7.62 Gunners post. But I don't see how Clem is forcing their ethics on the OP. If the OP doesn't like what is being said they can skip reading any post.

I don't post often.
But I feel your pain. I hit a large WT 11 pt Sunday evening around 5:30. Was walking at 150 yards from me right to left. Aiming behind the left shoulder, I heard the SMACK of the bullet. ZERO BLOOD. 6.5 Creed 140 grain.
I'll admit, I rushed the shot and then I rushed him.
Jumped him as it got dark and he went into a thicket. Went back yesterday morning and found blood but can't find the deer anywhere. Looked all day.
I hope I didn't gut shoot him. Who knows.

As for you, I know axis and WT are extremely hardy with a strong will to survive.
They aren't like domestic sheep which lay down and suffer when injured.
My dad was a neck shot guy. Said he didn't want to waste any meat so I understand it.

I feel you hit above the vertebrae. I'm not sure about axis rut, but WT bucks necks swell tremendously during RUT, but it's only flesh.
If his head was up when you shot and you were aiming at the base of the skull, you may of inched back just enough to clip meat and hide and not really send the necessary shock needed to kill him.
It still hurt like hell and caused him to stumble, but hopefully you will see him again, with a sore neck.

And remember, when you chose to vent on the internet, others are going to do the same.
I know you are upset about it, i hate to loose a buck also, and not knowing if he survived or not is the worst part.

Good hunting and go after another. We both need to aim carefully. HA!

I don't post often.
But I feel your pain. I hit a large WT 11 pt Sunday evening around 5:30. Was walking at 150 yards from me right to left. Aiming behind the left shoulder, I heard the SMACK of the bullet. ZERO BLOOD. 6.5 Creed 140 grain.
Jumped him as it got dark and he went into a thicket. Went back yesterday morning and found blood but can't find the deer anywhere. Looked all day.

As for you, I know axis and WT are extremely hardy with a strong will to survive.
My dad was a neck shot guy. Said he didn't want to waste any meat so I understand it.

I feel you hit above the vertebrae. I'm not sure about axis rut, but WT bucks necks swell tremendously during RUT, but it's only flesh.
If his head was up when you shot and you were aiming at the base of the skull, you may of inched back just enough to clip meat and hide and not really send the necessary shock needed to kill him.
It still hurt like hell and caused him to stumble, but hopefully you will see him again, with a sore neck.

And remember, when you chose to vent on the internet, others are going to do the same.
I know you are upset about it, i hate to loose a buck also, and not knowing if he survived or not is the worst part.

Good hunting and go after another. We both need to aim carefully. Ha
I don't post often.

Good hunting and go after another. We both need to aim carefully. HA!
What upsets me is not the negative comments it's the idea that the shot was a well placed shot I had time a good rest and I saw the bullet impact and where it impacted, I was shocked that he didn't die instantly. It was not a clip shot it was in the middle of the neck. My only regret is he had to suffer, I have taken hogs in excess of 300 pounds at almost twice the range, exact same shot from the same rifle bullet combination. It was the 1 in a million entry and exit. It's my belief that it went under the spine by a fraction of an inch. The Nosler 120 Gr Spitzer is not a hard bullet and at 120 yards it was still moving above 2000 FPS it just didn't expand and the fact that it penciled through makes me think there is a high possibility that he survived. I called the ranch yesterday and asked if they have seen him or any buzzards and the answer was no to both questions. The law of averages just caught up to me and the Axis this time. I will be back in the hills tomorrow with the same amount of confidence I had before this one shot that went bad.

The law of

If you shoot them in the heart, they always die, and quickly. Either DRT or a few steps. Neck shots and head shots are always iffy and inhumane. No need to shoot shoulders either. I have killed dozens of deer.
I also think that some people are not as good a shot as they think they are on live game. There could be factors like misjudged distance, a small branch or brush in the way as well. Or just excitement.
I don't think it is ok to take iffy shots. The critters deserve better.

Last edited:
If a bullet strikes the brain or spinal cord, animal dies.

But there are larger vital organs to target. The lungs and liver being the largest. Target those, if you wanna minimize these poor consequences. Lungs first and foremost.

Shoot broadside, mid-height, just behind the shoulders. Dealer than dead. As long as the bullet expands upon impact.

If you shoot them in the heart, they always die, and quickly. Either DRT or a few steps. Neck shots and head shots are always iffy and inhumane. No need to shoot shoulders either. I have killed dozens of deer.
I also think that some people are not as good a shot as they think they are on live game. There could be factors like misjudged distance, a small branch or brush in the way as well. Or just excitement.
I don't think it is ok to take iffy shots. The critters deserve better.
Had a ruttin buck run all of 200 yd on a through-the-brisket heart shot from a 30/06 years back... Nothin is set in stone with wild critters. Sometimes they rewrite the rules. 🤠

The obvious is that the bullet didn't hit the spine. If it had, DRT. Lots of questions and possibilities. I believe you that the gun is a .4 moa gun, so that means the probability is that you made a bad shot. Nerves, overconfidence, deer moved a small amount--something put the bullet somewhere that it couldn't kill the deer. The smaller the kill zone, naturally there are smaller margin for errors. Just like we have to own the lower confidence of long range shots. We all have to own the shots.

Bottom line is that we all play the odds. You lost with this one. No one is perfect.

I see the ignorance continues around neck shots so here's a little update as I take apart my neck shot buck thats been hanging a few days.
With the shoulders removed you can cleary see the entrance and would channel where the 180 vldh totally blew through the 100% meaty area of the neck.
My butcher knife is sunk into where the neck/spine bone begins.

From what guys are saying about neck shots this buck shouldn't be hanging here right now..
Come on guys the OP's issue was the bullet construction, not talking a neck shot.
Shoot them in the neck all day with rapid expansion bullets, if you're a mono or bonded fan boy then don't.
View attachment 410963
Big difference in what you are shooting and a grendel even with an eld.

Big difference in what you are shooting and a grendel even with an eld.
Gotta have the velocity to get expansion. I don't think that would be a problem at the yardage even with a Grendel. ELD start expansion faster than VLDH at the same impact velocity. If the bullet was over 2200, which it should be, it wasn't the bullet.

I love and only shoot VLDH, specifically the 180 7mm and it never fails to devastate the lungs when shot behind the shoulder and I don't lose meat other than some ribs. Never lost an animal either. A lung shot will kill every time. And, all but one animal stood there and maybe walked 10 yards before tipping over. Including elk, caribou, and deer. All I was able to put in a second or third bullet while they stood there. If you don't hit a major muscle group, the animals have humped up when I shot them. Only runners have been hit in a shoulder or hind quarter on a hard quarter to shot.

The problem here is the neck is small and so there is less margin of error. He already killed regularly with neck shots, the most likely is that he just missed the kill zone. It isn't failure to expand with an ELD, imo.

Gotta have the velocity to get expansion. I don't think that would be a problem at the yardage even with a Grendel. ELD start expansion faster than VLDH at the same impact velocity. If the bullet was over 2200, which it should be, it wasn't the bullet.

I love and only shoot VLDH, specifically the 180 7mm and it never fails to devastate the lungs when shot behind the shoulder and I don't lose meat other than some ribs. Never lost an animal either. A lung shot will kill every time. And, all but one animal stood there and maybe walked 10 yards before tipping over. Including elk, caribou, and deer. All I was able to put in a second or third bullet while they stood there. If you don't hit a major muscle group, the animals have humped up when I shot them. Only runners have been hit in a shoulder or hind quarter on a hard quarter to shot.

The problem here is the neck is small and so there is less margin of error. He already killed regularly with neck shots, the most likely is that he just missed the kill zone. It isn't failure to expand with an ELD, imo.
He wasnt shooting an eld. The point is a 180 gr bullet going 2800 fps is a bit different than a 120 gr bullet going 2450 fps. Not a fan of neck shots especially with a small diameter bullet at low velocity.

He wasnt shooting an eld. The point is a 180 gr bullet going 2800 fps is a bit different than a 120 gr bullet going 2450 fps. Not a fan of neck shots especially with a small diameter bullet at low velocity.
2450 fps for any bullet like a Berger or ELD that is well constructed is plenty to open. They have been tested in game and open as low as 1800 fps reliably. Admittedly, I thought he was using an ELD but I skimmed some of the pages…

As for size of bullet, it doesn't matter as much as proposed. A tipped Sierra Matchking or ELDm or Amax in 223 will kill just as well as a bigger bullet if impact velocity is the same.

2450 fps for any bullet like a Berger or ELD that is well constructed is plenty to open. They have been tested in game and open as low as 1800 fps reliably. Admittedly, I thought he was using an ELD but I skimmed some of the pages…

As for size of bullet, it doesn't matter as much as proposed. A tipped Sierra Matchking or ELDm or Amax in 223 will kill just as well as a bigger bullet if impact velocity is the same.
It's not about opening velocity. It's about wound channel and trauma. And no I do believe size matters. A 223 will not kill as effectively as a larger diameter higher velocity bullet. Even at the same velocity a 75 gr 223 does not have as much killing power as a 180 gr 7mm.