NE Montana

gonewest

I drew a tag for deer this yr in Montana and will be hunting in the NE area near a town called Circle. I know they had a hard winter does anyone know how the deer and pheasants made out from the harsh winter? Thanks for any info

Not good at my bros place, but he's about 100 miles NE of Circle. The ringnecks took a bad hit again last winter plus huge hail storms this summer/fall that killed a few too. White Tail are pretty scarce this year, a few Muleys around but none in abundance. Things could be better at Circle but it was a long hard winter.
Call the F&G in that area they will tell ya.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Well I already bought the tag 500.00 bucks and the plane ticket 450.00 so i'm still going to give it a go. Doesn't look good but I'll be there the last 9 days of the season and should hit some good late rut plus I can shoot either muley or whitetail. I do appreciate the info. Wish me luck.

winter006.jpg

Take a look at this....I took this picture in APRIL....

winter001.jpg

Same day...

Not trying to discourage you....just telling it like it is....I'd go south across the Missouri.

FWIW, the surviving whitetail deer here along the Milk River took a bad hit from "Blue Tongue" this summer. I live right on the river and haven't seen a deer all summer. I found bunches of dead bucks along the waters edge.

The only thing that did OK up here were the elk out in the Breaks. They have the size and strength to deal with a lot of snow.

Well I already bought the tag 500.00 bucks and the plane ticket 450.00 so i'm still going to give it a go. Doesn't look good but I'll be there the last 9 days of the season and should hit some good late rut plus I can shoot either muley or whitetail. I do appreciate the info. Wish me luck.

That's the spirit! I pray that the hunting gods watch over you. Good luck and God bless! Happy safe hunting.

Ed

Scenarshooter is giving you some good advice. If you will keep all your hunting South of Circle you will up your odds for success considerbly. There is a ton of Block Management land in that area. One last note, probably not the year to be real picky about antlers. Well maybe set your sights higher that a forkhorn, but I wouldn't hold out for a 180" muley if I were you.

Pretty much anywhere south of circle. The worst of winter seemed to be located north of highway 200. Lucky for you there are quite a few ranches enrolled in Block Management just south of Circle. You should be able to find some kind of buck to shoot.

i hunt a little more nw of circle and the deer have been down for the past 5 years
and after last winter im sure it will not be any better
this is the 1 i took lasy year at 414 yrds with my 25x47 ultra light arms
1'st day out 20 min from the truck

Attachments

• DSCN1744.JPG
    DSCN1744.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 104
Part owner in place east of Malta. After 3 years, finally drew a buck tag. I have been in contact with friends there and they confirm all previous reports. Horrible winter, spring floods, and blue tongue. Agh...... Hopefully I will find one survivor....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.