NE Montana

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by gonewest, Sep 9, 2011.

1. gonewest

gonewest Well-Known Member

I drew a tag for deer this yr in Montana and will be hunting in the NE area near a town called Circle. I know they had a hard winter does anyone know how the deer and pheasants made out from the harsh winter? Thanks for any info

2. CooperNV

CooperNV Active Member

Not good at my bros place, but he's about 100 miles NE of Circle. The ringnecks took a bad hit again last winter plus huge hail storms this summer/fall that killed a few too. White Tail are pretty scarce this year, a few Muleys around but none in abundance. Things could be better at Circle but it was a long hard winter.
    Call the F&G in that area they will tell ya.

Good Luck on your hunt.

3. scenarshooter

scenarshooter Active Member

Not good.....they shouldn't even have a season here in my opinion...worst winter on record by far.

4. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Dang thats not what you wanted to here. I would not let it kill my hunt however there is always a chance.

5. gonewest

Well I already bought the tag 500.00 bucks and the plane ticket 450.00 so i'm still going to give it a go. Doesn't look good but I'll be there the last 9 days of the season and should hit some good late rut plus I can shoot either muley or whitetail. I do appreciate the info. Wish me luck.

6. scenarshooter

[​IMG]

Take a look at this....I took this picture in APRIL....

[​IMG]

Same day...

7. gonewest

WOW!!!!

8. scenarshooter

Not trying to discourage you....just telling it like it is....I'd go south across the Missouri.

FWIW, the surviving whitetail deer here along the Milk River took a bad hit from "Blue Tongue" this summer. I live right on the river and haven't seen a deer all summer. I found bunches of dead bucks along the waters edge.

The only thing that did OK up here were the elk out in the Breaks. They have the size and strength to deal with a lot of snow.

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

That's the spirit! I pray that the hunting gods watch over you. Good luck and God bless! Happy safe hunting.

Ed

10. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

Scenarshooter is giving you some good advice. If you will keep all your hunting South of Circle you will up your odds for success considerbly. There is a ton of Block Management land in that area. One last note, probably not the year to be real picky about antlers. Well maybe set your sights higher that a forkhorn, but I wouldn't hold out for a 180" muley if I were you.

11. gonewest

Thanks for the info big sky. How much south of Cirle are you talking?

12. Big Sky

Big Sky <b>SPONSOR</b>

Pretty much anywhere south of circle. The worst of winter seemed to be located north of highway 200. Lucky for you there are quite a few ranches enrolled in Block Management just south of Circle. You should be able to find some kind of buck to shoot.

13. rjmarine

rjmarine Well-Known Member

i hunt a little more nw of circle and the deer have been down for the past 5 years
    and after last winter im sure it will not be any better
    this is the 1 i took lasy year at 414 yrds with my 25x47 ultra light arms
    1'st day out 20 min from the truck

Attached Files:

14. triton20

triton20 Member

Part owner in place east of Malta. After 3 years, finally drew a buck tag. I have been in contact with friends there and they confirm all previous reports. Horrible winter, spring floods, and blue tongue. Agh...... Hopefully I will find one survivor....