My wife wants to start hunting

MN Hunter

My wife has always enjoyed shooting shotguns, rifles and pistols. She loves the outdoors. With three kids she has never had the time to hunt. Well we are now empty nesters and she wants to try hunting. We would like to go out west for our hunt. My wife is very active and loves hiking. Looking for suggestions on an economical hunt for next fall. Ideally would like to do a drop camp elk hunt. Thinking that a good place to start would be with an antelope hunt. These next two words probably dont go together but is there such a thing as a quality economical antelope hunt thru an outfitter? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Last edited:
The most ''ecinomical drop camp hunt'' in Oregon (*that Im aware of) is thru Moss Springs. but its for deer, and elk hunting. I think its around $1600 per person for elk. Bring your own food, and clothes etc. But the tents are already set up, and wood stacked, and cooking gear and propane and water are provided.
Tha being said Id opt for Idaho over anywhere in Oregon simply because of longer seasons, and the ability to hunt deer,elk,and bear at the same time. Plus it doesnt require you to wear orange like Colorado or Montana etc!
As far as hunting speed goats, Id look hard at Wyoming. No idea on prices, but theres a PILE of goats there, so tagging out on her first hunting adventure wouldnt be that hard.
Good luck, and congrats on the new huntin partner! Way cool:cool:

Are you sure you need an outfitter? Antelope hunting is pretty simple and easy. You don't even have to have a truck just a fwd car that you are willing to get dirty and bloody will do if you are not on a tight schedule and can wait for roads to dry.

Elk hunting is a horse of a different color. it is challenging and difficult and success rates are low.

If you have camping gear and can tolerate camping in snow storms then you can do what I do and that is DIY with the understanding that you may go home with nothing but a good time and some nice pictures of scenery. When my daughter told me she wanted to go hunting she worked very hard to become a good rifle shot but several days while in Idaho she wanted to "hunt with the camera". So that is what we did. I remember it fondly! Three deer tags and three elk tags and only one deer killed but some really great memories.

snowatcamp.jpg

Buffalobob

You are right it is about the experience and the memories that stay with you the rest of your life.

I probably do not need an outfitter for Antelope - just some research on the internet. After reading your post I am thinking more and more that she would enjoy the DIY Elk hunt. Probably nothing better than hiking around the mountians for a week.

Both you and Winmag referenced Idaho for Elk. I will do some research on that. Can you guys give me any general info that would be helpful?

Thanks,
Peter

Hope all the wolves mysteriously die off and the wildfires dont chase you out and you should be good. I hunt relitavely steep country in Idaho. Theres alot of road closures but they are open to bicycles and motorcycles. These roads get you to where you can hunt on foot in some great country.
I like the Sawtooths myself. Theres a hotspring over by Lohman thats real nice to relax in after whackin, and packin a bull:D:D nice bonus.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.