My VLD's didn't shoot

mtmuley

My 190 gr VLD's wouldn't shoot worth a ****. Inch and a half at 100. I seated them at the max my magazine would handle. Two different powders, RL-25 and Retumbo. Charges starting in the mild range. This being in a Remington 700 .300 Ultra, 26 inch barrel. Do I need to seat further out? I measured my chamber with Stoney Point tools, but if I seat out close to the lands, the OAL seems extreme. Help. mtmuley

muley,

This sounds like a fun and powder/primer burning project.;)

I'd consider forgetting the limitations of the magazine and try seating the bullet out to the lands/lead. You'll most probably have to do this single shot, but what the hey ya gotta start some place.

That you rifle will shoot that bullet extremely well is a roll of the dice. But to give it all of the opportunities you may wish to go very long at least once.

How does it shoot with factory loads?
What is the aol on the factory loads?
Some times it is nessary to seat vld's so long
that single loading is nessary ie over mag legnth.

My 190 gr VLD's wouldn't shoot worth a ****. Inch and a half at 100. I seated them at the max my magazine would handle. Two different powders, RL-25 and Retumbo. Charges starting in the mild range. This being in a Remington 700 .300 Ultra, 26 inch barrel. Do I need to seat further out? I measured my chamber with Stoney Point tools, but if I seat out close to the lands, the OAL seems extreme. Help. mtmuley
mtmuley,
Two things I have learned about VLD's
1] Very rarely they shoot good sitting away from the lands, you have to be like 0.010" to 0.020" into the lands for them to work.
2] These bullets group better at 300 yards than at 100 yards. :)

My 300 RUM SENDERO is shooting them 0.015" into the lands and of course they do not fit in the magazine, which is alright if I'm shooting long range.

The 210 gr. Berger VLD shot better in the rifle than the 190 gr. VLD.

The 200 gr. Accubond shot excellent a mile away from the lands to where the cartridge fit the magazine. I usually pack both.

Last edited:
I shoot the vld's in both of my 7mm RM and both are off the lands....both rifles shoot .4's @100 yards. One likes them .005 off lands and the other .010 off the lands. I tried loading into lands and mine didn't like it.

the best of the west seats all the vld bullet they shoot .020-.050 off the lands. They are sleepers untill around 300 yards before they start to group good. I test mine at 500 yards and i seat my 190's in my 300 mag to fit the clip. I have found they shoot good into the lands from .010-.030 but i also found with playing around they hit a sweet spot off the lands it just takes time to find it.

Mikebob and Justramit,

We need to know that bullets with Secant and Tangent Ogive are different, typically, VLD bullets have a Secant Ogive which most times, (bu not always) would shoot better when it sits into the lands. If you're looking for a bullet that will shoot fine, when the bullet is sitting away from the lands, then we should be looking for bullets that has a tangent Ogive instead of the Secant Ogive. If your VLD bullets are shooting well away from the lands, it's more the exception than the rule.
Berger had been no long ago doing a lot of testing to put a new bullet out in 6mm 108 gr. We would ask why, since the 105 is so reliable.
I got this following quote from Accurateshooter.com that said the following:

Why is Berger bringing out this new bullet when the existing 105 VLD shoots so well? A tangent ogive bullet is generally considered to work well jumped (i.e. seated away from the lands), whereas secant-ogive VLDs typically (but not always) prefer to be seated in the lands. This new bullet should offer optimal performance for shooters who prefer to jump their bullets.

You mean they are not supposed to group this good at 100 ?

I know what you mean though... mine groups better at 300 then 100 also... :)

470118.JPG

Thanks, guys. Looks like it is back to the drawing board with the VLD's. My rifle will also put 200 gr Accubonds into a ragged hole seated just over SAAMI, but the Bergers are interesting enough to put the time in to get good groups. mtmuley

I want to mess around more with the Bergers too - but that 200 gr Accubond from a .300 Rem Ultra Mag is one heck of a setup! If they're shooting that well for you, and they often do, then I'd just settle on that load and hunt everything with it. I've heard nothing but good stuff about that 200 gr Accubond coupled with the .300 RUM.

Once I find a good load for a rifle, that does what I want it to do, I just don't like to mess around with it any more. Would rather get to know that load/rifle well, and just shoot it!

I'm starting to mess around with the Bergers though because they've shot well in one of my match rifles, and the success they're reporting recently can't be ignored. Besides I recently got a new rifle, and I haven't worked up a load for it yet.

Regards, Guy

When I emailed walt he actually told me to seat them .005 off in my rifle for hunting purposes. He said they usually shoot best just touching or just off of the lands.

i'm with Guy on this one. you have a 300RUM shooting 200 gr Accubonds into a ragged hole. i say make a drop chart and practice. i would just confirm they shot well at 3-5-700 yards.

Eaglet
I think people hear VLD and dont try to seat them any other way than into the lands. I have shot many of them in differ rifles and i shoot them all off the lands ( i dont want to pull a bullet apart while hunting) into one hole. It takes more time and effort to find the magic spot than the AB but at longer ranges it performs better so its worth it to me. Instead of seating depth you play with powder type and load. I dont think there is an exception to my guns, best of the west guns, my brothers and my dads, friends. Its just taking the time ( whick i rather enjoy) to find it

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.