My ultralight timber stick - building a 4 lb rifle

I'll be following this one. I built my wife a 6.5x47 Lapua intending to be light weight but ended up heavier than I wanted mainot because I wanted her to have a "pretty" stock and I bought a laminated wood stock with a full length aluminum bedding block. :rolleyes:

I may revisit stock choice and consider another SkeleTi action for it. Should drop a couple of # that way.

Last edited:
I have a BLR in .358 that serves the exact same purposes that you described for this build. I use 200 grn Hornady or 225 Sierras. Both drop game quickly, and with lower velocities, a cup and core bullet has no trouble doing it's job on even large animals.

If I were building the rig that you are, I would go 338 fed or 358. Recoil is not bad at all with either, and they do an excellent job killing with the oblique angle shots you often get while hunting heavy cover. Not saying that the other calibers listed are duds or that they won't make dead animals out of live ones, just passing along my experience with the subject matter.

It's been a bit since I had one, but from what I recall, the SWFA LW has limited ER, which effectuates a more limited EB, making it tougher to get on close up moving game in thick cover. I have a 1.5-5 Leupold in my 358 BLR, which has been a great fit. If I were putting it together today or if the Leupold gives me trouble, I'd replace it with a Trijicon.

Last edited:
So this is going to take a while (couple years likely) to finish, as I really don't "need" this rifle, and it's also going to be a niche rifle as well. Either way though, every rifle I build has an intended purpose......and the following will be this one's.

So, on to the build itself. Here will be the components, and the weights -

Manners MCS-UC, 13" LOP, ADL repeater - ~20 oz roughly with pillars, action screws, aluminum trigger gaurd and light bedding.

Pierce Skele-TI, left hand short action, .308 bolt face - ~ 15.9 oz

Rock creek #1 sporter contour, cut at 18", short shanked. Still undecided on what chambering, bore diameter could change it slightly.... - ~ 1 lb 15 oz

ADL mag box, spring and follower - ~ 4 oz estimated

Trigger Tech diamond - ~ 3 oz

This comes out to right at 4 lbs 10 oz for the bare rifle, maybe an oz or two more.

Tally rings - 3.5 oz

? SWFA SS 2.5-10 - 9.5 oz

So with that scope, would add 13 oz, putting it at 5 lbs 7 oz, unloaded, add about 3-4oz for 4 rounds of something like .243, .260, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08 or maybe .308. Then a sling like a skinny nylon sling, still under 6 lbs.

I will probably run a monolithic bullet of some flavor in it for hunting, as all shots will likely be close, and it will mainly be for elk. It is not going to be threaded, and no muzzle device, and I want to avoid magnum calibers for the sake of easier recoil in this ultra light, and also so I can have a very short shanked barrel. Right now I'm thinking .260ai, 6.5 creed, or 7mm-08. Any would kill elk splendidly inside 400ish yards this rifle will be designated for.

I think this would be super handy, and make a nice timber rifle. At this point, all I got is the Manners stock on order, thanks to their 20% off black Friday sale ha ha. I will update this thread slowly as it progresses, but it will be a fun process!
Curious to see what you come up with

I built an "ultralight" rather cheeply- about5 years ago --it comes in just under 6.5 pounds. It's a 30-06

Started with a rem 700 mountain ss rifle. ( not a ti) (adl) For $200 from an estate sale. Had the barrel chopped to 20" and threaded ($100) added a micro beast ($65)

Bought an mpi ultralight with magnum cross pins ( blank) from another member here for $100 ( thanks Dallas)--- finished it and cerakoted it myself.

Used a microcell hastings pad ( $25) and with full rail it finished at 91 oz-- added Talley rings ($60) and a leupy ultralight scope(8.8 oz- $275) and it comes in right under 6.5 pounds

You might be able to Beat the weight but probably not the price

Last edited:
I have owned several ULA/NULA and none were under 5lbs………Good advertising…Not that others don't under guess weight…

A SA Kimber MT is what I used in this manner for years. 5lbs bare on the nose.

While I am a die hard fan of the 284 Win and have shot quite a few elk with it I think I would build a 338 or a 375 provided hearing protection isn't something you are opposed to in the field. With a good brake I think it wound be manageable and general cup and core bullets would be excellent. The risk would be that if recoil is too much it's a rebarrel, not much you can do besides a brake to tame it. If not going big like 338+ bore I would do a 284 or a 30-284 over everything else listed so far, A 300 Wsm would also be on my list if you need a bit more oomph. 3.00 action if not standard long action would be required.

So this is going to take a while (couple years likely) to finish, as I really don't "need" this rifle, and it's also going to be a niche rifle as well. Either way though, every rifle I build has an intended purpose......and the following will be this one's.

I hunt a few different ways, usually I'm spot/shoot or spot/stalking from high vantage points, in rough country. I usually start out the year however, with archery, but I really don't put in a ton of effort on that. Other times though, especially now that my kids are wanting to go with me more, I find myself sneaking through the timber quietly, teaching them the ways of the woods, how to stalk, how to be quiet, how to navigate, and how to listen. While this is usually not as successful as high point glassing, I still find it very exciting, and love that my kids seem to enjoy it too, as we're constantly doing something.

I don't need this rifle to be extremely light, but it also doesn't need to be heavy. I look back at all my harvests with these kinds of hunts, and the farthest shot I can recall is a 250 yard shot across a meadow, with the average range being under 100 yards. So magnum power, or heavy rifle stability just isn't needed. Arguably, extreme accuracy isn't "needed" either, though I have my bets this one will shoot quite well for what it will be. What is important, is being quick and nimble handling, and having good pointability. Every animal I harvested hunting this way was taken within seconds of seeing it, often while they were moving. And, as I may be covering lot's of distance, I want it light, and also, just because, no other real good reason there ha ha. So, I might as well make it extreme in some fashion ha ha.

So, on to the build itself. Here will be the components, and the weights -

Manners MCS-UC, 13" LOP, ADL repeater - ~20 oz roughly with pillars, action screws, aluminum trigger gaurd and light bedding.

Pierce Skele-TI, left hand short action, .308 bolt face - ~ 15.9 oz

Rock creek #1 sporter contour, cut at 18", short shanked. Still undecided on what chambering, bore diameter could change it slightly.... - ~ 1 lb 15 oz

ADL mag box, spring and follower - ~ 4 oz estimated

Trigger Tech diamond - ~ 3 oz

This comes out to right at 4 lbs 10 oz for the bare rifle, maybe an oz or two more.

Tally rings - 3.5 oz

? SWFA SS 2.5-10 - 9.5 oz

So with that scope, would add 13 oz, putting it at 5 lbs 7 oz, unloaded, add about 3-4oz for 4 rounds of something like .243, .260, 6.5 creed, 7mm-08 or maybe .308. Then a sling like a skinny nylon sling, still under 6 lbs.

I will probably run a monolithic bullet of some flavor in it for hunting, as all shots will likely be close, and it will mainly be for elk. It is not going to be threaded, and no muzzle device, and I want to avoid magnum calibers for the sake of easier recoil in this ultra light, and also so I can have a very short shanked barrel. Right now I'm thinking .260ai, 6.5 creed, or 7mm-08. Any would kill elk splendidly inside 400ish yards this rifle will be designated for.

I think this would be super handy, and make a nice timber rifle. At this point, all I got is the Manners stock on order, thanks to their 20% off black Friday sale ha ha. I will update this thread slowly as it progresses, but it will be a fun process!

This will be a awesome build. I built a lightweight 18" 308 that's slowly becoming a favorite rifle to carry. It points and shoots phenomenal. Currently I'm running a 130 Barnes TTSX at 3100 fps. After talking with the owner of Badlands Precision I may do some testing and load development with there 150 BD2. Anyways, I really have come to enjoy shooting my shorter barreled rigs. Have fun building yours.

I LOVE this mental exercise. I go through it regularly. In the end, I always come back to a Tikka. I can't beat the value they offer.

Some day, I'll bite the bullet and do a true ultra light. Until then, I'll live vicariously through these threads.

A light brush gun can be a tuff nut to crack! Cut my teeth on deer and 12ga slugs, then a Sweede carbine was used, then a Tikka altralite in 30-06. That altralite kicks worse than the 12ga pump and the only bullet it seams to shoot is the 168 Amax.....not a great short range bullet for elk.
The last attempt with a brush/canyon buster is a Tikka tx3 in 338Fed with 22" barrel. Scoped and slinged with three in the mag puts it at 8lbs even. A little heavy but I'm hesitant to lighten it up as the recoil is stout. Been kicking around the idea of cutting the barrel back to 16+ and threading for a brake or short can?
Good luck finding the perfect combo, elk add a difficult variable for me🤠

Last edited:
Following. I went with an AR-15 for my ultralight build, but only because I'm ballin on a budget and the parts were much cheaper than building a bolt gun. 6.5 Grendel, 5.5lbs all up with the mag. Shooting the 99 Hammer Hunters 2800fps, perfect for deer. But of course not enough power for bigger game. The funny thing with ultralight + short barrel set ups is the recoil. My 6.5 grendel feels more like a 6.5 PRC.

The real winner here is the SWFA SS 2.5-10, I think that's the right call if you're staying inside 500y. Crazy they got it so light, and it still feels sturdy. Still not too many reliability reviews on this scope since it's relatively new, but SWFA in general has proven dependable. I haven't shot mine a ton, but it's held up fine so far.

6.5 Grendel.jpg

You were batting 1000 on your project Ultralight

UNTIL

you went to SWFA,

PLEASE over the next two years of this build, work some overtime and buy a Swarovski scope

THEN

you will have the perfect UL rifle

IF

it's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor OR 7mm08

Recent Posts