My son's buck

I should have posted this on the meat pole, but I didn't. Got busy coaching basketball, and I'm just getting to it now.

In Nebraska, youth tags can crossover season to season. We were unsuccessful during rifle season. We couldn't find anything larget than a fork horn besides a 3x3 my son passed on opening morning. So, we waited for muzzleloader season to come along.

We had hunted the first weekend unsuccessfully again, then the whole family came down with influenza A. By the time we recovered enough to hunt we were into Christmas break. We were hunting out of a blind, and of course the deer came out 700 yards away on the other side of the field. Finally, toward last light, this bruiser of a fork horn (biggest I've ever seen) came straight at our blind down a fence line. It crossed the pasture behind us 80 yards behind the blind. That was his last mistake as my son made a good double lung shot, though it exited a little far back.

It was a tough season here. Last winter really hurt the deer population, but it was also good because I was able to spend a TON of time with my son in the field chasing deer. Great memories made!

The gun is a CVA Accura LR shooting 250 grain Hornady SST's over 100 grains of Blackhorn 209. Nikon prostaff scope.
View attachment 554551View attachment 554552
The time with your Son is irretrievable, and the SMILE is worth a fortune! Way to go!

I should have stated, this wasn't my son's first buck. He has gotten a few, but it was his first buck with the muzzleloader. He took a doe with it last year. This is his best rifle buck to date.
IMG_20221112_121702.jpg

I should have posted this on the meat pole, but I didn't. Got busy coaching basketball, and I'm just getting to it now.

In Nebraska, youth tags can crossover season to season. We were unsuccessful during rifle season. We couldn't find anything larget than a fork horn besides a 3x3 my son passed on opening morning. So, we waited for muzzleloader season to come along.

We had hunted the first weekend unsuccessfully again, then the whole family came down with influenza A. By the time we recovered enough to hunt we were into Christmas break. We were hunting out of a blind, and of course the deer came out 700 yards away on the other side of the field. Finally, toward last light, this bruiser of a fork horn (biggest I've ever seen) came straight at our blind down a fence line. It crossed the pasture behind us 80 yards behind the blind. That was his last mistake as my son made a good double lung shot, though it exited a little far back.

It was a tough season here. Last winter really hurt the deer population, but it was also good because I was able to spend a TON of time with my son in the field chasing deer. Great memories made!

The gun is a CVA Accura LR shooting 250 grain Hornady SST's over 100 grains of Blackhorn 209. Nikon prostaff scope.
View attachment 554551View attachment 554552
I'm Jealous !! Nice Buck.

I'm curious about the buck's age. I've seen elk in decline who don't have the rack they had when they were younger. I once saw a spike with about 18" antlers with some decent mass. We didn't kill it, and I've always wondered how old it was.

Congratulations, it is special when your kids are successful.

Recent Posts