My sheep hunting journey

It's a long story. So bear with me.

I dreamed of hunting sheep as a youngster.
They were the pinnacle of my hunting dream.
I watched and mostly read stories of the great writers/hunters of my time. This was the 1970's. Not much was available other than outdoor life and field and stream magazines articles.
We were mostly a lower middle class family. Money was stretched as far as it could. I worked at home with chores as well as a paper route plus odd jobs for the neighborhood where I could get them.
I soon realized that I would never be able to afford a sheep hunt. As time went by they just went up in price.
I worked and life took over. My dream of hunting sheep was pushed back in the far back recesses of my hunting mind. I'd see more and more videos and pics as technology progressed but I would mostly try and ignore them for the most part as they made me sad in a selfish way. I just concentrated on the deer, elk and bears that the west provided.
Life then provided me a opportunity to go to Alaska. It was a black bear hunt on Prince of Wales. The hunting trip once again proved to be a gift. I instantly fell in love with Alaska. Another lifelong relationship was formed with someone who helped me.
Then I started putting in for sheep hunts in and around Idaho. Knowing it would be a miracle if I drew a tag.
I would enter raffles and draws for organizations that offered them also. February 2015 was one of those years I entered a raffle drawing at the hunting Expo in Salt Lake City.
The Full Curl event was what I participated in.
I was a couple tables away from the KUIU crew and Jason at the event. I got to briefly say hello there and also in the expo at the KUIU booth.
The drawings started. Half way through the process my name was drawn for a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. I was in such a state of exhilaration that I jumped on the table from a sitting position!!
I was physically shaking from the rush. I was in heaven!!
I had talked with Jason in the expo booth about my back ordered pack. He was experiencing some supply problems but assured me that he was trying his best to get that shipment in as fast as possible.
When the microphone came to me as the winner of the drawing. I looked a Jason and said into the mic "I'm really going to need that pack now"!
He pointed at me as yelled "You'll get one"! Smiling then clapping.
The Full Curl event ended and all the winners were lined up for the photo op.
Jason waved to me and smiled.
As I walked out of there my mind was racing. Still trying to absorb what just happened.
I made my way back to the Kuiu booth later in the day and was lucky enough to find Jason there. He instantly saw me and came over and shook my hand. We talk for a couple minutes about my experience. He gave me a business card. And said to call him and email his assistant for a gear list. He promised me I get a pack. Even if he had to give me one of his spares he kept around. 10 days later a pack arrived at my door.
The last part of our conversation he said" this sheep hunt will change your life".
Man was he right!!

That sheep hunt was a life changing experience.
I trained hard! Totally dedicated my life to the endeavor.
My hunt was scheduled for 2016.
The outfitter called me and informed me that he was over booked for 2016 and could I come that fall of 2015.
This was the first of many events that started the hunt on a course of a unexpected path.
It was a life schooling about hunting and what it really means.
I was shifted around between 2 guides.
Now the first guide was a full time guide for the outfitter.
We hit it off from the first hand shake. We had a good 2 days together. Then he was pulled away from me and put with another guide. My new guide was a friend of the outfitter that was called in as the reserve because the outfitter was out of guides for hunters.
We hunted for 10 days never seeing a ram.
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't devastated from the hunt.
I couldn't even look at pics or video I had taken for a year.
I started to really reflect on that hunt after time had passed. What was hunting really about? Did I measure success with a pair of horns in my hands? Or was it about the experience? The people? Me?
Many reflections passed through my mind.
As time went by I realized I wasn't letting the hunt experience be a positive influence.
A few more months passed by and I got a text. It was from the first guide I was with on the sheep hunt. We had exchanged contact info and kept in contact.
On the sheep hunt he was in the process of buying 2 of the hunting areas from the outfitter as he was retiring.
His text was a question if I'd be interested in becoming a guide for him?!!
I instantly said yes. I now guide for him and have a close friendship with him.
Also the second guide I had on the sheep hunt is a friend and took me out under his wing for 2 years to teach me the ropes.

Still no sheep on my wall as that was my only sheep hunt. I think that someday it will be there but the journey was different for me.

Jason was right. It changed my life!!!

I am now a full time Alaskan hunting guide.
I've been saving all my guide money to continue that dream of hunting sheep.

I am now scheduled to hunt sheep in 2024.
Paid in full with wages earned from guiding.
What a journey this has been so far!
Great story! I have a similar one. Like you I had always dreamed of sheep hunting. After moving to Colorado in 1975 I started the application process and finally in 1987 I scored the coveted tag......but thats another story!
After getting my bighorn, I then wanted to get a Dall sheep and like you, life had gotten in the way raising a family and such. I was a water well drilling contractor and was saving for that dream hunt when out of the clear blue I get a call from a fellow named Tom Shankster. Tom was a licensed Alaska guide that was building a house in Colorado and was wondering if I might be interested in doing a trade 😀.
Long story short, we made a trade and I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream!
I have half a slam now and of course you guys know what all my hunting goals are!!!!
I guess the moral of the story is never give up!!!
Great story! Can't wait to hear about your 2024 hunt!

It's a long story. So bear with me.

I dreamed of hunting sheep as a youngster.
They were the pinnacle of my hunting dream.
I watched and mostly read stories of the great writers/hunters of my time. This was the 1970's. Not much was available other than outdoor life and field and stream magazines articles.
We were mostly a lower middle class family. Money was stretched as far as it could. I worked at home with chores as well as a paper route plus odd jobs for the neighborhood where I could get them.
I soon realized that I would never be able to afford a sheep hunt. As time went by they just went up in price.
I worked and life took over. My dream of hunting sheep was pushed back in the far back recesses of my hunting mind. I'd see more and more videos and pics as technology progressed but I would mostly try and ignore them for the most part as they made me sad in a selfish way. I just concentrated on the deer, elk and bears that the west provided.
Life then provided me a opportunity to go to Alaska. It was a black bear hunt on Prince of Wales. The hunting trip once again proved to be a gift. I instantly fell in love with Alaska. Another lifelong relationship was formed with someone who helped me.
Then I started putting in for sheep hunts in and around Idaho. Knowing it would be a miracle if I drew a tag.
I would enter raffles and draws for organizations that offered them also. February 2015 was one of those years I entered a raffle drawing at the hunting Expo in Salt Lake City.
The Full Curl event was what I participated in.
I was a couple tables away from the KUIU crew and Jason at the event. I got to briefly say hello there and also in the expo at the KUIU booth.
The drawings started. Half way through the process my name was drawn for a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. I was in such a state of exhilaration that I jumped on the table from a sitting position!!
I was physically shaking from the rush. I was in heaven!!
I had talked with Jason in the expo booth about my back ordered pack. He was experiencing some supply problems but assured me that he was trying his best to get that shipment in as fast as possible.
When the microphone came to me as the winner of the drawing. I looked a Jason and said into the mic "I'm really going to need that pack now"!
He pointed at me as yelled "You'll get one"! Smiling then clapping.
The Full Curl event ended and all the winners were lined up for the photo op.
Jason waved to me and smiled.
As I walked out of there my mind was racing. Still trying to absorb what just happened.
I made my way back to the Kuiu booth later in the day and was lucky enough to find Jason there. He instantly saw me and came over and shook my hand. We talk for a couple minutes about my experience. He gave me a business card. And said to call him and email his assistant for a gear list. He promised me I get a pack. Even if he had to give me one of his spares he kept around. 10 days later a pack arrived at my door.
The last part of our conversation he said" this sheep hunt will change your life".
Man was he right!!

That sheep hunt was a life changing experience.
I trained hard! Totally dedicated my life to the endeavor.
My hunt was scheduled for 2016.
The outfitter called me and informed me that he was over booked for 2016 and could I come that fall of 2015.
This was the first of many events that started the hunt on a course of a unexpected path.
It was a life schooling about hunting and what it really means.
I was shifted around between 2 guides.
Now the first guide was a full time guide for the outfitter.
We hit it off from the first hand shake. We had a good 2 days together. Then he was pulled away from me and put with another guide. My new guide was a friend of the outfitter that was called in as the reserve because the outfitter was out of guides for hunters.
We hunted for 10 days never seeing a ram.
I would be lying if I said that I wasn't devastated from the hunt.
I couldn't even look at pics or video I had taken for a year.
I started to really reflect on that hunt after time had passed. What was hunting really about? Did I measure success with a pair of horns in my hands? Or was it about the experience? The people? Me?
Many reflections passed through my mind.
As time went by I realized I wasn't letting the hunt experience be a positive influence.
A few more months passed by and I got a text. It was from the first guide I was with on the sheep hunt. We had exchanged contact info and kept in contact.
On the sheep hunt he was in the process of buying 2 of the hunting areas from the outfitter as he was retiring.
His text was a question if I'd be interested in becoming a guide for him?!!
I instantly said yes. I now guide for him and have a close friendship with him.
Also the second guide I had on the sheep hunt is a friend and took me out under his wing for 2 years to teach me the ropes.

Still no sheep on my wall as that was my only sheep hunt. I think that someday it will be there but the journey was different for me.

Jason was right. It changed my life!!!

I am now a full time Alaskan hunting guide.
I've been saving all my guide money to continue that dream of hunting sheep.

I am now scheduled to hunt sheep in 2024.
Paid in full with wages earned from guiding.
What a journey this has been so far!
Great story…I can relate. I drew a 27-1 sheep tag in the frank church spent 20 days looking for a mature ram back in 2021.

It never happened. Passed on a small banana head. But it changed my life too!

Fast forward to 2023 decided to move my family up to Alaska so I can get a sheep tag next season a resident lol…

If your outfitter is looking for guides I can send over a resume… I won't be a resident until the end of august 2024.

I also understand I would more than likely be a packer for a season or 2.

Just throwing it out there! I really hope you get a ram!!! Please keep us updated!

Great story…I can relate. I drew a 27-1 sheep tag in the frank church spent 20 days looking for a mature ram back in 2021.

It never happened. Passed on a small banana head. But it changed my life too!

Fast forward to 2023 decided to move my family up to Alaska so I can get a sheep tag next season a resident lol…

If your outfitter is looking for guides I can send over a resume… I won't be a resident until the end of august 2024.

I also understand I would more than likely be a packer for a season or 2.

Just throwing it out there! I really hope you get a ram!!! Please keep us updated!
Well the update is not good.
No sheep hunt is going to happen
I had a falling out with the outfitter
He took all my credit/ money that I had saved as well as this last season's pay.
I have to start over again on saving for my sheep hunt.
Live and learn😡

Edit: There's a lot to this story that can't be put here. I made a mistake and the outfitter is keeping all the credit/money to "pay" for that mistake. Once again it's a long sad story that will be part of my life forever now.

Last edited:
He took all my credit/ money that I had saved as well as this last season's pay.
Live and learn😡
Noooo. Can you PM so I know who this guy is. I'd hate to work for him in the future.

Live and learn😡

Edit: There's a lot to this story that can't be put here. I made a mistake and the outfitter is keeping all the credit/money to "pay" for that mistake. Once again it's a long sad story that will be part of my life forever now.
Sorry to hear that you saved up for a life time Hunt and it is not happening plus you lost your hard earned money. Hopefully some good fortune will fall upon you and your family. What goes around comes around.
God Bless

I enjoyed your story (first part) and I agree, hunting trips can change your life. I have worked hard my whole life and I save money for big expenditures, not lots of little crap. I was fortunate enough to have hunted most of the African game, including some of the big 5. Africa will get in your blood and she constantly calls you back. I have been to canada many times and to many of the states hunting different game. I have not put in for a sheep, but that is on my "health plan". For my last mountain lion hunt, my buddy and I each challenged each other to get into better shape. I doubt I will ever be in 100% sheep shape, but at my age and fitness level, I NEED something to push me harder to get back into the shape I need to be in. I can call it, adding years to my life to drop the weight I need to lose.

I have had some great hunts and some horrible experinces with terrible guides and outfitters. I have had three outfitters to lie and steal my money and MY TIME. Pay for a 1x1 and end up on 2x1, or find out the game you are hunting is not there. I have a list of guides to avoid if you are going to Alberta, Colorado or Idaho.

My best advice when you get to go on a great hunt, keep a daily hunt diary. I have each of my Africa hunts, moose, elk, deer and other game hunts in diaries. It is great to relive them in print and see everything back in your minds eye.

Last edited:

Recent Posts