My Rem 700 FIRED on Bolt Closing!!

Doesn't matter the concept is the same, moving sear engagement forward to break at the end of the connector would change the pressure on the spring. Unless its got more levers then two, which timney and trigger tech both only have two levers and a single contact point between the sear and connector.

Hello Fellas,

This was a one-time occurrence but my Rem 700 fired when I closed the bolt.

The rifle has a Trigger Tech Trigger and the action has been blueprinted. The ONLY thing different about this incident was that I was chambering a round that I didn't FL size down to the base, and I was having difficulty closing the bolt on it. Actually, I had to push the bolt forward very strongly and I was in the process of forcing the bolt down when it went off. It fired the second the bolt was down all the way.

That said, I don't think that it should have fired but I would like to hear what you guys think, and if this is "normal" because of what I did or if there is something wrong with the gun. I have several hundred rounds through the rifle and this has never happened

What do you say??
The trigger may need the sear ingagment adjusted.

Seems that if the case was last fired in your rifle, the the round should fit the chamber perfectly. If the brass was fired in another rifle and only neck sized, it, most likely will not fit the chamber and you'd have to force it. I only neck size in my rifles where I one have one per caliber. Cases fired in my Win 70 in 7mm Rem Mag wouldn't fit into my friends Howa 7mm Rem Mag. Cases had to be full length resized to fit his chamber.

Yes I will contact TT but I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks so I am going to be careful and cross my fingers for now:(

I played with it for 1/2 hours now. It will only fire 1in 10 times if I slam the bolt closed as hard as I physically can.

I have it set at @ 2.75LBS

I should be ok for my trip.
No

Yes I will contact TT but I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks so I am going to be careful and cross my fingers for now:(

I played with it for 1/2 hours now. It will only fire 1in 10 times if I slam the bolt closed as hard as I physically can.

Are you serious right now?

3 weeks? You can have a new trigger in your hand in 24 hours. Jesus, please warn us all which states you hunt right now.

I may have missed this elsewhere in the thread, but I'm glad you didn't blow your face off! You should never force the bolt closed a hard to chamber round.

Hello Fellas,

This was a one-time occurrence but my Rem 700 fired when I closed the bolt.

The rifle has a Trigger Tech Trigger and the action has been blueprinted. The ONLY thing different about this incident was that I was chambering a round that I didn't FL size down to the base, and I was having difficulty closing the bolt on it. Actually, I had to push the bolt forward very strongly and I was in the process of forcing the bolt down when it went off. It fired the second the bolt was down all the way.

That said, I don't think that it should have fired but I would like to hear what you guys think, and if this is "normal" because of what I did or if there is something wrong with the gun. I have several hundred rounds through the rifle and this has never happened

What do you say??
Sounds like the primer wasn't seated all the way in and it may have popped when you closed the bolt, I have a trigger tech diamond trigger and they don't fire accidently. If there is a firing pin dent in the case than something touched the trigger.

Ditto +++ on PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS GUN until you have this safety issue sorted out.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.