My recent build cost vs prefits?

DIY builds are always a great way to dip your feet into the semi-custom market.

Tikka is always a great way to roll.

We have seen a good following with Christensen actions & remage barrels. Those stainless actions already come painted, triggertech trigger and BDL bottom metal assembly. Nitride coated bolt with m16 extractor, spiral fluting, dual ejectors on the magnums. By the time you add up the numbers $900 quickly becomes a viable option.

We try to hit all of these budget friendly builds for our customers!

Last edited:
If you can do your own work.Remingtons are an affordable option.
And you know exactly what you got...
I've had my Remington action worked over or (Trued) I'm very happy with it and have been for a long time,but due to a recent total fiasco and extremely long wait times in the past I'm going with a custom action and prefits I don't do my own work.

If been anti prefit for a long time, partially due to trust in smiths that measure everything, partially because I'm worried about these small business getting cut out from under them by large prefit makers.

However, I currently have a tenacity and a proof shouldered steel prefit on order to build a prs specific rifle. The high round count this rifle will see makes the large scale prefit route more and more appealing, especially in a discipline where precision itself is not the only/main variable for scoring (compared to lr Br or maybe f class)

I still have another defiance I will continue to use the smith that built it on rebarreling, and I actually lucked into a bergara for a deal so ridiculous it's worth it, but looking at 400 for a barrel and 400 for a chamber and muzzle thread for that bergara… then 500$ for a chambered shouldered proof defiance prefit… the custom pays for itself in like 2-3 barrels. On a high round count rifle that adds up fast.

*my biggest concern is that with a transition to just ordering an action and a prefit we will end up losing some of the hard learned technical stuff some of the great smiths have/know as we trust action makers to do it right and slap a barrel on there. Example, checking ignition systems, firing pin fall, trigger timing and properly adjusting that for handoff and retaining pin fall etc

Last edited:
I have one Remington build on a blueprinted 700 that shoots lights out, but I have done rifles on Defiance and Origin with shouldered prefit barrels that shoot as well or better.

To date the last three I have built were on Mack Brothers Evo and Evo II stainless actions and they shoot very well. Actions are really nice with nitrided bolts and modified M16 extractors and 20 MOA rail on DBM. They will take variable prefits, but I get mine fit by my smith because he is very good with chambering. Still put together a barreled action for $1,700 or so with trigger. I did one with a barrel nut and it shot well, but I can't get past the look......just me.

I just had LRI put a new barrel on a receiver they trued. The turnaround was beyond fast and I commend them on that. They've always been accomodating; the new barrel is a hammer. I wish they would sell shouldered prefit services for 700 actions they trued to their dimensions. However, I was told that counterbore is the concern and having the receiver in hand is best to ensure proper fit.

With that said, I hate shipping receivers via couriers/mail. Therefore, this will be my last custom fit barrel. I too have an Origin/Krieger in 6 Creed and pre-fit shouldered barrels are the only way to go for such a caliber.

I just had LRI put a new barrel on a receiver they trued. The turnaround was beyond fast and I commend them on that. They've always been accomodating; the new barrel is a hammer. I wish they would sell shouldered prefit services for 700 actions they trued to their dimensions. However, I was told that counterbore is the concern and having the receiver in hand is best to ensure proper fit.
Esi
With that said, I hate shipping receivers via couriers/mail. Therefore, this will be my last custom fit barrel. I too have an Origin/Krieger in 6 Creed and pre-fit shouldered barrels are the only way to go for such a caliber.
Gunsmiths ( or people that call themselves gunsmiths) are the main reason I spent a bunch of money on a new defiance antiX and a Bartline carbon set up , besides they look great!!

Total Custom vs DIY vs Partial Custom
I just did all 3 ways.
I built two on Rem 700, and One on an Impact Precision ,Two on Stiller, & One on Bergara action.
I has a blast doing it..Lost a lot of sleep, almost got an Ulcer (not really) ,along with many headaches..Much anticipation and excitement .Money Wise I have not added it up but I think if I had to do it again I'd go Full Custom. Not pinch penny's.
I ended up with two 6GT's, Two 300PRC's, One 6.5 PRC, one 6mmARC.

Total Custom vs DIY vs Partial Custom
I just did all 3 ways.
I built two on Rem 700, and One on an Impact Precision ,Two on Stiller, & One on Bergara action.
I has a blast doing it..Lost a lot of sleep, almost got an Ulcer (not really) ,along with many headaches..Much anticipation and excitement .Money Wise I have not added it up but I think if I had to do it again I'd go Full Custom. Not pinch penny's.
I ended up with two 6GT's, Two 300PRC's, One 6.5 PRC, one 6mmARC.
So which action do you like the best?

I think it depends on what length action is optimal for cartridge would be a variable needed in this consideration. If for say a 300 WM where COAL lengths could 3.6XX then a Remington would be my choice over a Tikka.
The decision for an action will wholly dependent upon the maximum COAL I need for that specific cartridge. If I am going to maximize performance as focus of the build, magazine COAL capacity along with free bore opportunity is primary factor for me. Rem's still have an edge in max COAL in standard bolt face which can be significant boost in a cartridge's performance. Especially now with mono's becoming more prevalent which require additional COAL, magazine COAL capacity and free bore to be fully utilized.

Otherwise, Tikka's get edge. However, older flat top Savage 110's can provide exceptional builds as well. Impossible to find though.

Recent Posts