My puppy turned 13 today ...

FEENIX

Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog.

Thor NY sirloin steak 1 of 2.jpg

Thor NY sirloin steak 2 of 2.jpg

My little rat was a gift after I was forced into retirement, someone to keep me company. I've paid around 6 grand in vet bills for my gift pup. But I'd do it again. I've told people that I care more for that little dog than some family members. She was bit by a cane break rattler. $1450.00. Had a flesh eating bacteria that required weekly IV injection. Had some kind of growth under her skin and in her abdomen that required more surgery. She's a tough pup. And I can see the end coming! Going to be a sour day in our household.

My little rat was a gift after I was forced into retirement, someone to keep me company. I've paid around 6 grand in vet bills for my gift pup. But I'd do it again. I've told people that I care more for that little dog than some family members. She was bit by a cane break rattler. $1450.00. Had a flesh eating bacteria that required weekly IV injection. Had some kind of growth under her skin and in her abdomen that required more surgery. She's a tough pup. And I can see the end coming! Going to be a sour day in our household.
I do not think we can prepare for that inevitable day.

I do not think we can prepare for that inevitable day.

You can't.

We lost Yogi, our Yorkie Shitzu early this year, he was old and grumpy, and he loved the outdoors, that little thing roamed free, whether it was the woods or desert, it didn't matter, heck he even got in to it with a mother cow, she almost stomped him and he did not budge, she walked close to our camp with her calf and he let her have it.

And Leyla our German Shepherd, lost her almost 4 months ago and still not over it. Still hard to deal with, she was something special. Both are irreplaceable.

My mini aussie turned 13 in May. He has an enlarged heart that takes up 2/3 of his chest cavity. He doesn't look old but we can't play "fetch" much anymore. When my grandkids come over they always want to take him home for a sleepover all the time. Which they do. If they tell him he gets to go for a sleepover he runs and jumps in their Highlander and I couldn't wedge him out with a crowbar. My oldest granddaughter from that family grew up with him. I don't expect him to last another year. It is going on me when that happens. But it will be really hard to tell my granddaughter. It will be really hard on her but one of life's lessons we all have to learn.

The little buds worm their way into your heart and leave a big hole when they are gone. I keep hoping she just never wakes up in the morning so its not me who has to end it. She's deft and has vision problems, can't take her into the woods anymore because you turn around and she gone and can't hear you calling. Last time I took her out I searched 45 minutes for her.
Found walking the edge of a creek three hundred yards from where we were filling up the deer feeder.would have been tough to come back and tell the wife I misplaced the dog. she wouldn't last the night where I live. We call the coyotes werewolves.