My Longest First Round Cold Bore Hit to Date

Buck, This rifle started life with a 5.5~22x50 NXS. I aquired the current 8~32 and wanted to try it. If I was to do it again I would probably stay with a 5.5~22. I hardly ever turn the scope off highest setting. The 32 x is touchy about getting a good full view through it. It does alow you to have a bigger target to precisely place your POA but I can not think of a situation where I ever felt the 5.5~22 would not be sufficient.

Jeff

Thanks for your insite.

BB

Just got a few more Hybrids in... I am stocked up for a while anyway..:D:cool:

Jeff gun)gun)

DSC02415Small.jpg

Broz,
I enjoy reading your posts, as you put in great effort in your longrange work. Keep it up.

Broz:
Your experience with the new Berger 338 seems to run counter to the many disappointing stories I've read. What are your thoughts on the disappointing results other have had?

I'm curious because I'm giving some consideration to building a big 338 but would like to have another bullet choice besides the SMK.

Broz:
Your experience with the new Berger 338 seems to run counter to the many disappointing stories I've read. What are your thoughts on the disappointing results other have had?

I'm curious because I'm giving some consideration to building a big 338 but would like to have another bullet choice besides the SMK.

Not being sarcastic at all, please don't take it that way. But, where are the stories that are from people actually shooting them? I am aware that Berger announced that some 338 Lapuas and larger cases loaded at max or close using powder with fast burn rates, like ball powder, have had this " nose slump" problem. But with my standard 338 Lapua I have not had this problem. From the start, even during load development they have shot 1/2 moa or better for me. I have over 100 down range and I just bought a bunch more. I have 700 SMK's on the shelf too. I feel the Bergers are shooting better from my rifle and very very consistant.

I have posted these before but I will add some pics to this thread. Some of the first groups are development loads. I was anxiuos and shooting with bad mirage as noted in some pics. Here are some of the pics that will speak of my experiene with the new Berger .338 Hybrid.

Jeff

DSC02320Small.jpg

DSC02312Small.jpg

DSC02313Small.jpg

Last edited:
1395 yards

What can I say... here are my results with the Berger 300 gr .338 Hybrids.:)

Plus, many more groups have been shot at 1450, 995, 800, 1500. I didn't take pics of all but they all follow siut of these pictured.

Jeff gun)gun)

DSC02323Small.jpg

Last edited:
You are one consistant and deadly accutate L/R shooter. Someday I hope to reach that skill level. Great post, great pictures, and FREAKIN AWESOME SHOOTIN'.

You are one consistant and deadly accutate L/R shooter. Someday I hope to reach that skill level. Great post, great pictures, and FREAKIN AWESOME SHOOTIN'.

Thank you for the kind words.... I do enjoy doing it... it has reached addiction status..:D

Jeff

I recognized Canyon Ferry even without the silos. I know you are having great success with the Hybrid Berger's, but aren't you loading them at a very conservative velocity. The problem comes when they are kicked in the butt a bit harder than you are I think. Kirby, Shawn and several others were not able to get them to group after about 2900 fps if I remember correctly. Aren't you shooting them right at 2750? I sure would like to drop down and visit sometime, do you work in town?

Jim

Excellent shooting there Broz-outstanding!
I can tell you have done your homework.
I am not at your level.
I hope to get that consistent with my 338AX center-grip XP-100.
I received 250 of the Bergers recently but have been tied up with other projects.
Again, great shooting and congratulations!!!

I recognized Canyon Ferry even without the silos. I know you are having great success with the Hybrid Berger's, but aren't you loading them at a very conservative velocity. The problem comes when they are kicked in the butt a bit harder than you are I think. Kirby, Shawn and several others were not able to get them to group after about 2900 fps if I remember correctly. Aren't you shooting them right at 2750? I sure would like to drop down and visit sometime, do you work in town?

Jim

Jim, My chrono says 2820 but I know it is about 30 ~35 FPS fast. Its a cheepy. Both the EXbal and LB3.0 drops match up great with a MV of 2785 and a G1 BC of .820 Berger says .818 so I feel I have found what they are doing from my rifle.

One more grain of H-1000 and I get cratering of the primer , a slight ejector pin shadow, and a firmness of the bolt lift. So, I feel I am at max for summer temps. I try hard not to over load my rifle. My brass has 9 firings on it and each time it passes a thorough inspection.

I can not speak for what Kirby and Shawn have done. But I have talked pretty extensivly with the boys at Berger. They told me the "slump" was from very fast accelerating loads, like a 338 Lapua loading with a max load of fast burning ball powder for higher velocity. As far as I know, I have not heard of any problem with them from H-1000 or Retumbo. If someone has seen this I wish they would post so we could narrow down there limits. Every bullet has a limit.

I will not say that these bullets will work for the hotrods. But I use to have problems even with 220 swift and a 6mm/284 that would smoke a bullet when loaded up. So I don't see the problem. Bullets failing in wildcats has been a problem for years. I feel this bullet is a great match for many .338 chamberings. Not all, but many. I do not know of any bullet that works perfect in all chamberings of a given caliber.

A few of us have done some expansion tests with the 300gr Berger Hybrid. I got a 1 3/4" exit hole in cardboard after one passed through a 1/4" board, 2" of dirt/compost mix, then 1/2" of plywood and 14" more dirt/compost. This was at 1180 yards and a velocity of just under 1800 fps. Do I want a thicker case to hunt with?? Do you?? Just food for thought.

All I am saying is, it don't cost much to try them in your rifle. Nothing ventured , nothing gained. I like em and I hope they keep making them.

Jeff gun)gun)

Just thinking back. Hope my memory is correct. But Shawn, if you are readin this. Isn't one of your favorite loads for his .338 Edge a 300 SMK and 92~93 gr of H-1000?

I have used 92.5 gr with 300 SMK's for a long time wth good results. I shot several of these hybrids with 92.5 gr and backed off 1 gr to slightly reduce pressure.

So, no I don't feel as I am loading a reduced charge for my rifle. Do I feel these would work in a 338 Edge with a 10 twist barrel and a 92~93 gr load of H-1000?? I sure would not be against trying it..(work up as always)

Another note. Shooting 300 SMK's at 2805 MV, like I have done for a few years. and now shooting 300 Hybrids at 2785 MV. I doubt that 20 fps is affecting me much with the .052 gain in BC. I will do some checking but I doubt I have any more drop. Plus if wanted to I feel when fall hunting temps roll around I could easily put the grain of H-1000 back. But why bother? I like what I have going on pretty good for a rookie.

Jeff gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.