my journey to LRS skill

McDewbie

just yesterday I went and passed my PAL test (possession and acquisition licence), I live in Canada so you need to pass a test before you can buy a gun... and after i passed the test they had an open house thing where anyone could go and shoot guns, this was sponsored by savage arms, EVERY rifle/shotgun/lever action there hadn't been fired once. now before this I had pretty much decided to buy a 111 LRH in 300 winchester magnum, when was there they had it in the creed more caliber (don't remember the actual caliber, but it was significantly smaller than 300 WM) and I loved it, all 3 shots i took pinged steel at 100 (i know nto saying much, but it felt so goood), then I shot the 110 in 338 lapua magnum, and hot sh!t is than gun nice, if i had like 5k to throw i would definitely buy that guy, but alas. so now im waiting for the mail strike to end so I can mail in my application so I can wait 6 weeks so I can order a gun and maybe shoot a few times in august... (stupid background checks...) if anyone here is from canada and been through this I was wondering if i can go to my local RCMP store get a background check then go to the canada place where we'd get our passport and other legal canadian documents and get it expedited a little? any way, I'm going to be updating this article as the story unfolds. If this is in the wrong forum just yell at me where its supposed to go.
Thanks, Evan

just yesterday I went and passed my PAL test (possession and acquisition licence), I live in Canada so you need to pass a test before you can buy a gun... and after i passed the test they had an open house thing where anyone could go and shoot guns, this was sponsored by savage arms, EVERY rifle/shotgun/lever action there hadn't been fired once. now before this I had pretty much decided to buy a 111 LRH in 300 winchester magnum, when was there they had it in the creed more caliber (don't remember the actual caliber, but it was significantly smaller than 300 WM) and I loved it, all 3 shots i took pinged steel at 100 (i know nto saying much, but it felt so goood), then I shot the 110 in 338 lapua magnum, and hot sh!t is than gun nice, if i had like 5k to throw i would definitely buy that guy, but alas. so now im waiting for the mail strike to end so I can mail in my application so I can wait 6 weeks so I can order a gun and maybe shoot a few times in august... (stupid background checks...) if anyone here is from canada and been through this I was wondering if i can go to my local RCMP store get a background check then go to the canada place where we'd get our passport and other legal canadian documents and get it expedited a little? any way, I'm going to be updating this article as the story unfolds. If this is in the wrong forum just yell at me where its supposed to go.
Thanks, Evan

Not to offend, but Canadian gun laws suck. Yall are just a step ahead of Australia.

On the Sav 111, possibly the 6.5Creedmoor?

i do and dont agree with you on gun laws. I do think it shouldn't take 6-8 weeks for my licence to get here, thats insane. we also have ALOT of different guns we cant buy here, anything that has a large clip size, fully auto, small, no silencers or suppressors. But having to take a test to prove you will be safe with a gun is a good idea, you cant just go out and start driving a car, you'd kill someone cause you didn't know what you were doing, if you had a gun and didnt know what you were doing you could kill someone or yourself just as easily. in that respect I really prefer canada's over the states'. but that's just my opinion. and yeah that was the caliber.
Thanks, Evan

Taking a test doesn't make you safe or proficient. All of that comes with time you study to take your driving test with all the answering the book I'm guessing you studied from a book or the INTERNET to take the gun test all that says is you can read and take a test. You learn safety from other folks new gun owners are for the most part careful. folks that handle guns all the time will tend to get careless quicker. It comes down to each his own. Whats wrong with gun laws here if memory serves you've had a few gun problems of your own. Most think a gun law will help to protect them the law does nothing, it's for the good guys the bad guy could care less what kind of law you have or test you take. Laws are for honest people not dishonest. Enough said if your happy being told what you can and cannot have then good for you as for me as long as I obey the law of the land then I should be able to own what ever I can afford to have. Rant off. Enjoy your new toy.

Last edited:
First off congrats on the PAL. I too am a Canadian, and sympathise with your waiting process. Now, as for the background checks, nothing you can do to speed that one up, but it shouldnt take to long.

As far as the laws, I dunno, the whole registry thing is a farce. With my job, I tend to work a bit with police, and the way they look at it is, if they go to a domestic dispute ok, they know he has a firearm, whatever, but true criminals dont register guns anyway and have their own way of getting them, specially the assault rifles (restricted/prohibited). So, this registry thing just aint all that it was intended or cracked up to be, still alot of question marks. Just my $ .02

1st. Its better then Chicago. you get to have a gun.
2nd. I had someone teach me or start teaching me how to drive and shoot when i was very young. he also taught me the responsibility that went with them. so when i had to take the test i did i knew what i was doing
3ed. Its nice to see someone has enough love for the sport that they will jump threw the hoops they have to to own a gun.

Congrats on getting you PAL. Did you get your restiricted as well? thats where my big problem is with Canadian gun laws. Canada has some good ideas on gun laws but also tie the hands of law-abiding citizens, striping us of several rights for the "saftey" of those uneducated in firearms. theres my rant.

with your original post, I think you shot the 6.5 Creedmoor. very nice caliber, but probably not the best choice for any long range hunting, just not enough energy. I think that you should stick with the .300 win if your hunting big game. the 7mm Rem might suit you better if your fairly new to shooting as it has less recoil. If you want to step into the .338 lapua class of cartriges I would get something that you can shoot alot as well (.308,6.5 creed) thats not for hunting.

With the mail strike, did you look into alterative mail options? UPS, FedEx, ect...? I dont think that you can do your background check and then go to your local Municipality. Im pretty sure everything has to go to Victoria (i think).

if your near Drayton Valley, AB. give me a Pm and we'll go shoot.

I have two teenagers in my home. The basic rule they live with is, "If you are responsible with it, you can have it, but if you are irresponsible with it, it will get taken away!" Have you ever commit any crime with a full auto, if no, then why can't you take one to the range and shoot it legally? Shooting with a suppressor reduces noise and recoil. Why should that be illegal? Hunting with a suppressor may actually save on some medical bills. In my opinion, all that registering, testing, and licensing is just a money grab while at the same time saying they are doing it for you. How stupid do they think you are? Another vote for a 7mm in the 284 winchester case or bigger, your decision how much recoil and cost you want to take on.

I wish it was in Victoria, that's where I live (assuming you talking about the BC one, I don't know of any others). I fedex'd it to Miramichi NB over night (should be there monday), now I've gotta wait like 5 weeks or something for the background check and the firearms general or whatever he's called to sign off on it. My parents are being finicky, right now and want me to have enough money to get me through school before I drop a bunch on a gun. which means I have to sell one of my cars, which i hate doing, its always a pain in the ***. I'm debating on if i should still go 300 WM or go 308 win, the 308 win is cheaper isn't it? also it seems that everyone here likes there own countries rules, although everyone gripes about something.
Thanks, Evan

Congrats on passing your test!! out of curiosity how old are you? I also live in Canada and have had my minors for 3 years. I will be receiving my PAL the second this strike is off too, paper work was sent 4 weeks ago.

and as for caliber, what are you planning on doing. Is this rifle going to be specifically for targets and long range or are you planning and making/buying a rifle that will be used for target as well as hunting.

I purchased a gun 2 years ago (signed in my dads name due to being 16 years old) and it happened to be a Browning A-Bolt 300. wsm. My neighbor shot a 308 and i loved the short action. i wanted the power of the 300. win mag cause i hunt moose and black bear mainly closely followed by caribou. This year i will be hunting Elk and Whitetail :). This gun was bought strickly for the purpose of hunting cause i have never shot long range (furthest shot 109 yards). Last year i took my gun to Orangeville Ontario to a range that was suppose to be up to 800 yards as for i was interested in long range but never thought i would presue it. We got there a day after a large rain storm and it knocked every target down beyond 300 yards. I was extremely disappointed but yet still i haven't shot passed 109 so still excited.

I started with a 100 yard sight in and it was exactly where i left it. So i back up to the 202 yard target and squeezed off 3 shots at an aluminum plate and it passed right through like butter and all 3 shots were just barely over an inch!! wow was i impressed with the rifle. I backed up to 300 yards and squeezed off 7 shots (all that was left) and all 7 shots were within 2.5" and 5 were within 2.25"'s!! I love this rifle and i was officially hooked on longer range shots.

that fall we went to a range near home and set a target up at 587 yards. The snow was coming down like hell, and the wind was blowing like mad!! I only had time for 3 shots and i missed the first one (i couldn't feel my hands) i warmed them up and fired the last 2 and both were hits. We used a piece of printer paper that was 11"x8" and nailed it both times. I am now dedicating this rifle to my long range, light weight carry around hunting and target rifle!! I just purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm and will be dedicating this summer to shooting from ranges 100-600 yards for my Montana Elk hunt this year. I can not wait.

I feel like if you are only using this rifle for whitetail sized game and targets out to 1000 yards then the 308. win might be better. lighter and cheaper mainly with enough power. You will need a 20 moa rail most likely. If you going after big game too then the 300. win mag might be better.

I'm 18 years old, I've shot alot before with family and friends. i plan on shooting everything from steel to white tail to black bears and elk. the rig ive been planning on getting is a savage 111 LRH in either 300 winchester magnum or the 308 winchester, murphy 10 MOA rail and 30mm rings both in titanium with a night force nsx 3.5-15x56 scope. it priced it to be roughly 3k, but this is way more gun than i will need for a while, which is the plan as then i dont need to buy another until i become exceptional. so far my longest can shot was 350 yds with my grandpas A bolt II in 243 winchester (lying in the bed of my truck).
Thanks, Evan
PS the application should reach miramichi tomorrow night

as soon as words "elk" and "long range" are used in the same sentance the .308 win is out. I consider the 7mm rem a minimum for long range elk, though alot of guys use the 6.5 mags, my comfprt zone lies in the 7mm and up.

Also seeing that you have the biggest black bears in the world on the island, I would say get the .300 win. its going to be better for hunting. I would rather be overgunned on targets than undergunned on game.

I like your choice in scope. thats what I would get if the funds allowed. go for the NPR1 or NPR2 reticule though. The PST's are a good scope and could save you some $$. theye are a second to the nightforce in my mind, and a fair bit cheaper.

Lastly, get a 20MOA or 30MOA rail. might as well do it right.

i would have to agree here. the 308. win is ruled out. Those black bears over there can be absolute monsters especially if long range is put into play. Elk and moose are some extremely tough animals and aren't meant to be taken lightly once again especially with long range. I think your best bet here is the 210 VLD or something along those lines fired from a 300. win mag. I agree with angus over there, get the 20 moa rail. Might as well

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.