My first rifle build - 338 Edge

Deezel

First a quick disclaimer. I am not a gunsmith. I am self taught but had quite a bit of help from a friend who is a licensed gunsmith. I didn't just buy a lathe and jump right into building rifles after watching a couple YouTube videos. It was not something that I took lightly and it's been a long haul to get where I'm at today. I started this quest 2.5 years ago with the thought of a bigger, long range rifle for Elk.

Last month I felt I was ready and was able to complete my first build. While I was learning, I ordered all the components for the build. Rifle was initially going to be a 338 Lapua but my friend talked me into a 338 Edge.
I was a little concerned about finding brass for it but have lucked out and now have 250 new RP and close to 400 once fired RP brass.

For the build;
STD spec Manson 338 Edge Reamer.
Stiller Predator action
Benchmark 5R Barrel with HV contour. I opted for the 1-9 twist rate. Finished at 28"
Calvin Elite trigger set at 1.5 pounds
Bell and Carlson M40 stock (had this already)
Remington 700 BDL bottom metal
Custom 5 port brake designed and built by my gunsmith friend with some input from me
Sightron SIII 6-24x50 with LRFFP/MH reticle
Burris XTR Signature rings

Here it is all put together. It weighs in at 14 pounds the way it looks. The action is not bedded to the stock yet. I was deciding if I wanted to keep the M40
on it or possibly change to a McMillan. The M40 is indeed growing on me so it will most likely stay.

338%20Edge2_zps0rdm23ex.jpg

33820Edge3_zpseturxexk.jpg

Here's a closer look at the brake. It needs a bit of refining but I'll tell you it sure works good! No problem shooting all day with it.

33820Brake_zpsyn5y1hj8.jpg

Here's the best grouping during load development. The hole with black marker around it was from a 7mm I was sighting in while the 338 was cooling.
This is a 5 shot group. I'm not sure if the flyer was me or not, I was shooting off bipod with rear bag. Without the flyer, group is .727" - .338" = .389"
Target was 100m so I still need to verify this load further out there. I'm pretty confident in it as ES was 6.93 and SD was 3.16. Velocity averaged 2761 fps.

300 grain Berger Elite seated .020" off
91.5 grains H-1000
Remington brass
Federal 215M primers
COAL - 4.010" (ya, it's a single shot)

338%20target1_zpszjkjprpd.jpg

Over all I'm pretty happy with my first build. It feels pretty good to be shooting a rifle that you personally made. I'll report back on how it does at 500m plus. It could be awhile as I just got called to head out of town for work.

Looks great! What break did you use? Have you done anything to the break to make it work better?

Steve

Nice looking build. But........want to know that really sucks? If the barrel work was done after 7/22/2016 you are now a firearm manufacturer and subject to the $2250 ITAR registration. This regulation needs revised in the worst way.

Great looking rifle!!!
I'm diggin' that spiral fluted barrel. I looked it up on Benchmark's website and couldn't find it. Is that a custom mill job or does Benchmark offer that?

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really appreciate them.

Looks great! What break did you use? Have you done anything to the break to make it work better?

Steve

The brake was custom built by my good friend, who is a machinist/gunsmith. We have not done any refining to the brake as of yet. The only thing I'd like to do with the design right now is to space out the ports a little bit more. I think that would make it a little nicer to look at but doubt it will help performance any. Quite honestly, the brake performs very well the way it is right now.

Excellent job on your first gunsmithing build.

The muzzle brake looks like a Terminator variant, except 5th port is at 90 degrees.

Thanks for the comment. The Terminator definitely played a part in the designing as well as the APA FB.

Nice looking build. But........want to know that really sucks? If the barrel work was done after 7/22/2016 you are now a firearm manufacturer and subject to the $2250 ITAR registration. This regulation needs revised in the worst way.

I guess I should have pointed out that I'm Canadian.

Great looking rifle!!!
I'm diggin' that spiral fluted barrel. I looked it up on Benchmark's website and couldn't find it. Is that a custom mill job or does Benchmark offer that?

I purchased the barrel over a year ago from the Canadian supplier. It was definitely spiral fluted by Benchmark. I believe Benchmark shows pricing for fluting as an option on their website. I don't think they show actual fluted barrel prices though.

What's it take to be a Canadian gunsmith? Not exact but is it expensive or heavily regulated? If it get's much worse here we might be looking for a new place to locate our business.

What's it take to be a Canadian gunsmith? Not exact but is it expensive or heavily regulated? If it get's much worse here we might be looking for a new place to locate our business.

Sorry I'm so late with a reply.

I really couldn't answer to what's legally required to become a licensed gunsmith here, I'd have to ask my friend. I have zero intentions of ever becoming one, I just wanted to build rifles for myself so I've never looked into it. I do know there are inspections that need to be passed as well as licensing fees. I would think the regulations up here are quite a bit tighter than in the US. Hell, if the government we have now had it their way, it would be illegal for us to look at pictures of a rifle in a book, let alone own one.....

As far as me building a rifle for myself, I did look into that and I can do it as long as it's not a restricted or prohibited firearm. I must also have my up to date firearms licence (PAL). These PAL's need to be renewed every 5 years.

I was under the impression that only applied to licensed gunsmiths? If you are building it for personal use its 100% legal..... Its only the resale and exchange of money paid for services that this takes effect. If you are building rifles for yourself as personal rifles you already own the rifle and can do what ever you want to it as long as its legal in your state to own. That new ITAR regulation is trying to hurt the small time smiths that only do a couple of builds a year, Where it wouldn't be worth it to pay the ITAR Fee.

I'm no attorney but I know there are real attorneys who read this board. I hope one would weigh in on who needs to register and when.

This is just how it reads to me. There is no stipulation that it only pertains to licensees. It clearly states "any person who engages." What does that mean? The paper reads, "For the purpose of the subchapter engaging in such business requires only one occasion of manufacturing," as defined by the compliance clarification. If you do it once, you are considered to be a manufacturer for that year.

https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/documents/ITARRegReqFirearmsManufacturers.pdf

§122.1 Registration requirements.

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman](a) Any person who engages in the United States in the business of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing defense articles, or furnishing defense services, is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls under §122.2. For the purpose of this subchapter, engaging in such a business requires only one occasion of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing a defense article or furnishing a defense service. A manufacturer who does not engage in exporting must nevertheless register. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I was finally able to take the rifle out to 550m (600 yards) today. Rifle/load performed awesome.
Here's the best group at 550m. The coin is a loonie and roughly 1" in diameter.
All the groups today at 300m, 400m, 500m and 550m were consistently under 1/2 MOA.

This is by far the most accurate rifle I own. Hopefully my next builds prove to be just as accurate!

600%20yard_zps57u9ew89.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.