My first custom rifle, plus “The Muzzle” brake teaser

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Finally got my first custom rifle in my hands this Wednesday! So far I have only managed to take three shots thru it (doing barrel break in right takes forever) details are below! This will be the Salmon River Solutions go to gun for our videos we will be doing this winter for various instructional videos relating to shooting off of a tripod etc.

I ended up going with a .300 WSM throated for a 215 Berger. Mike at Hells Canyon Armory ended up doing the work for me.

23" HCA summit barrel
AG composites alpine hunter with XM inlet
Defiance deviant ultralight in the XM size
Defiance XM bottom metal
Triggertech Special
SRS arca+pic rail with sling stud (straight bolt on for this stock)
It will get Hawkins rings, but for now it has some cheapo rings because I am scrambling to get it ready for my wife's hunt!

Action/barrel and accessories cerakoted burnt bronze.

I topped it with a leupold Vx5hd Hand me down from Another gun (Will Get the NX8 SFP this winter.)

SRS "The Muzzle" brake 4 port 860 series in Ti blended to match. This brake weighs in at 1.25 oz and makes the gun a breeze to shoot! The new line of brakes will be introduced Around Nov. 1st. We will have the 760 series 4 ports, 860 series 4 ports, and the 990 series 5 ports. (The series # denotes the brake diameter) Myself and a few others have had these for the initial testing. We should see reviews from various testers such as Jake at Unknown Munitions here if Post Falls, and Jeff Brozovich soon!

Pics have a Burris on it just for mock up.

5C81A830-3120-473E-A67D-0CDAC08A40F4.jpeg
0D6580E5-38E6-4DD2-B516-95AEACEF59B1.jpeg
144CA8B5-D20E-42EB-ABA9-1EB11075DBEA.jpeg
639F5CA0-C8A0-4B2C-929F-1AC86528C01B.jpeg

Well factory ammo is apparently far superior to my initial handloads. The best I got out of 8 different powder charges was a .65" group. That's fine if I was loading for a buddy, but I want my gun more accurate! I decided to send a few of these new Browning Long Range Pro with 195 Sierra match kings down the range. I had a hard time telling where my shots were in the 15 power scope. Well
They were just stacked together! My best 3 shot group to date! I will shoot a 5 shot group tomorrow over the chrono and then we're good to get for the hunting season!
646E7D92-7621-4E75-9F3C-853033DE812B.jpeg
D000CFA6-D574-4063-8641-25A9BBE1FF16.jpeg
DA328F6E-8E69-4461-8D24-64251DD1926F.jpeg

I will suggest to try and find some rl23. At 65.5-66.5 gr(norma brass) with a 215 seated bout 35k off lands, it'll shoot very accurately @ 2830fps. I have the same exact barrel and chamber as you from HCA cept mine is built on a Tikka action.

Ok thanks Kris! I've always tried to stick with the Hodgdon extreme powders. What's RL23 like for temp stability?

Ok thanks Kris! I've always tried to stick with the Hodgdon extreme powders. What's RL23 like for temp stability?
Very temp stable. It's just as good as H4831sc, but will give you another 50-100fps. Beautiful rifle by the way. Mike does excellent work, he's chambered 4 rifles for me.

I don't have the final price on the brakes yet. I am wholesaling then to another forum and he will be the source for them, at least for the initial year. After that they will be available thru other retailers and my
Own site.

I can at least get them to buy there own brass. But after building rifles for 30 yrs I have quite the selection of bullets and powder laying around. Nobody wants to use my personal rifles. They are mostly pieces parts of left over projects. At least my hunting rifles are. Yes all my friends have much nicer rifles than me that I built for them. This yr I finally built a full custom hunting rifle for myself with all new parts. Have fun with your new rifle.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.