My First Benchrest Match

Jud96

I know it's not long range, but this weekend I shot my first NBRSA Benchrest match at the Holton Gun and Bow Club in Holton, Michigan. I shot Light Varmint and Heavy Varmint 100 yards. I have to say a huge thanks to Ken Hottenstein for inviting me to the match and letting me use his rifle, equipment, and components. I appreciate it very much! I had a blast and this is definitely something I want to do again. I finished 8 out of 21 competitors in Light Varmint and 12 out of 22 in Heavy Varmint. My average group size for 5x 5 shot groups was 0.289 in LV and 0.327 in HV. My largest group all day was 0.488", still under 1/2 MOA for 5 shots! My smallest group was 0.171 and won me Match #3 with that group! I'm very happy with how I did overall and I'm very thankful for Ken's help and generosity!

I had a great experience overall and I met some good guys. I got to clean, load, and get the full short range benchrest experience. At the end of the day I got to watch Ken and others setup their flags for the following day. Today I joined the NBRSA and I look forward to shooting other matches in the near future. Thanks again to Ken for showing me this sport and getting me hooked!
3D1F95BD-48CD-41D4-8C92-575D246DF13F.jpeg
2F6D8D64-8A3B-4987-A2EF-053D09E6748E.jpeg
080B1FB3-69C0-4ED5-9E39-3F08D749CEFA.jpeg
9AEE87AD-F628-4919-B7BC-54C1D02DF241.jpeg
9BFA1291-8F94-4000-A16E-F5401B5FED6B.jpeg

Wow, man, sounds like you're hooked! I'm going to go to my first benchrest match next weekend. The format is going to be Varmint for Score this month. I jumped into benchrest late last summer / early fall.

Is the Bob Scarbrough that is listed in the results the guy who makes the awesome stocks?

Wow, man, sounds like you're hooked! I'm going to go to my first benchrest match next weekend. The format is going to be Varmint for Score this month. I jumped into benchrest late last summer / early fall.

Is the Bob Scarbrough that is listed in the results the guy who makes the awesome stocks?
Awesome! Hope you like it! Yes that's Bob Scarborough that makes the stocks. Very nice guy and a heck of a shooter!

Another example of the dedication and generosity offered by shooters to help the new guys get a feel for the sport! Shooters have always been ready to step up to help others at every venue I've attended. They are the best folks in the world!

:)

Last edited: