My experience with the Hornady 147 ELD-M on game. *A Lot of Shot Videos and photos*

I'm pretty sure Broz is using the 147 in his PRC. I believe he's had pretty good luck so far. He might want to see this thread. Don't think he's on here much anymore.
That would be a major switch for Jeff! I'm hoping mine was a one time thing. I'm wondering if maybe the tip broke off and acted like a plug in a hollow point.

That would be a major switch for Jeff! I'm hoping mine was a one time thing. I'm wondering if maybe the tip broke off and acted like a plug in a hollow point.

Yeah. He and Ryan Avery are both killing critters with 147s from PRCs this year. Antelope, deer, and elk so far.

Well not so fast!! I posted earlier about the 147 penciling through and leaving me in disbelief! Today I decided to cut up the deer which had been hanging since my son-in-law shot it. This was the first daylight look at it. At first glance, it still looked like a 264 exit hole but when I cut the shoulder off, this what I found. A piece of the core or jacket exited but the inside or the shoulder looked like a bomb went off! The bullet hit the large shoulder bone after taking out a rib and left this damage to the rib cage and shoulder. What's so weird is when I looked inside the cavity that night, I must have had a bad angle or ??? First pic is inside of shoulder and pic 2 is the rib cage.
IMG_20181204_115454467.jpg
IMG_20181204_115451078_HDR.jpg

Gotta be careful with those "first impressions"! I wonder how many other "bullet failures" we hear about are from a lack of further investigation. I'm glad Rich was able to get a good 2nd look.

Gotta be careful with those "first impressions"! I wonder how many other "bullet failures" we hear about are from a lack of further investigation. I'm glad Rich was able to get a good 2nd look.
I can't believe that damage didn't show AT ALL On that shoulder. At least I'm back to liking my bullets better again!:D

That looks more like my experience with the eld-m. If anything I would worry about the bullet coming apart and not penetrating enough rather than a pencil through.

That looks more like my experience with the eld-m. If anything I would worry about the bullet coming apart and not penetrating enough rather than a pencil through.
I thought that when I started using them but it's just the opposite! They penetrate better than the eldx.

That's what I wanted to hear! I have over 200 Factory ELDMs in 140 gr 6.5CM left over from a long range class that I haven't tried on game yet....I'm liking these results and would assume the 140s would perform the same.

That's what I wanted to hear! I have over 200 Factory ELDMs in 140 gr 6.5CM left over from a long range class that I haven't tried on game yet....I'm liking these results and would assume the 140s would perform the same.
I'll stand by that but Cody did have some evidence of under expanding. My personal experience so far is pretty good

Great thread. I've had good luck with the 140 ELDm on cow elk, and the 108 ELDm as well. The one thing I am noticing is just how unpredictable bullet performance can be, even it is the same model bullet used on the same species of animal...Reading the posts regarding the VLD bullets and sometimes notorious reputation of not expanding reminded me of an experience I had on a bull where I recovered my bullet and could about reload it. Makes me think I probably had one with a closed tip. I too have been fortunate enough to see lots of animals impacted but quite a few different types of bullets at varied ranges from various calibers. It seems like inconsistency is king in my experience...Still looking for that perfect unicorn of a bullet

Well not so fast!! I posted earlier about the 147 penciling through and leaving me in disbelief! Today I decided to cut up the deer which had been hanging since my son-in-law shot it. This was the first daylight look at it. At first glance, it still looked like a 264 exit hole but when I cut the shoulder off, this what I found. A piece of the core or jacket exited but the inside or the shoulder looked like a bomb went off! The bullet hit the large shoulder bone after taking out a rib and left this damage to the rib cage and shoulder. What's so weird is when I looked inside the cavity that night, I must have had a bad angle or ??? First pic is inside of shoulder and pic 2 is the rib cage.View attachment 112706 View attachment 112707
Guess you dont have to eat crow now Rich! :D Faith restored?

I had a 143 ELD-X do that on a deer. The deer dropped within 10 yards of impact, but upon first inspection there was only a small exit hole on the off side. I did, however, find the bullet jacket bulging just under the hide while breaking the animal down to haul out. Like others have posted about the ELD-M, the internals were destroyed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.