My Dad and I

JackinSD

Early this spring my dad and decided we wanted to add antelope to this years hunting plans. We have done deer hunting for many years together, but it had been a few years since we gone after speed goats together.

A little about my dad, He is in his 70's. He had his stomach aorta replaced, and stints put in his legs. All, after effects of being a military veteran. The fact is he has a very difficult time walking any distance.

He bought himself a new Remington SPS DBM in .243, which we immediately change scopes on. It now wears a Nikon Prostaff 4-12. His Model 94 30-30 was set aside. As we figured that pronghorns were not going to be close range shots. He has always had a thing for the 30-30. I guess it comes from always having one in a scabbard on his horses (South Dakota farm boy).

After shooting his rifle a few times, and liking the lack of recoil compared to my 30-06. I decided I would build myself a .243, on a spare Savage 110 action I had purchased and not decided what caliber to go to.

I wanted more of a long range target rifle, not so much a hunting rifle. So, I built mine with the weight not being a concern. I don't know what it weighs but it sure isn't light. Thank God for slings.

We spent many a trips to the range to find the right loads for each rifle and dope them out to 850+. He was using Hornady SST 95 gr, and I the 105 AMAX. Both rifles were very accurate. So, my long range target rifle was put into service for antelope.

We had 2 doe/fawn licenses each.

The first was taken at 633 yds with my .243 using the AMAX. I hit about 5 inches left of where I wanted to hit her. She was walking slowly to my right and I didn't quite lead enough. But, she fell right there.

The second was taken from 75 yds. This one was taken by my dad and his SST. Small hole going in and a huge hole going out the other side of her. She still managed to go about 100 yards and the piled up.

The third and fourth were taken at the same time. We were sitting on a small rise that overlooked a water hole. As things seem to go, they came in from the far side, not the closer side we had hoped to catch them coming in from. The water hole was 400 yards to the far side. We let them drink, with the hope that they would have their fill and make their way closer as they left.

That didn't happen. They turned to head back out from the way they came in. We set up for the shots that we thought we might get. And they were nice enough to stop and feed in that spot (435 yds). On the count of three. 1........2.........3.BANG. Both rifles fired very close to the same time. Both antelope fell right where they had stood. The four antelope averaged out to a distance of 394.5 yards.

A beautiful season with my dad had come to close.

At one time, it was he who took me hunting. Little did I know about the joys of hunting at that time. Now that I am the one taking him, I know more what it felt like to him when he had help me become successful. The joy, pride, and sense of accomplishment just about overwhelms a guy.

I can't wait for deer season to open in just under a month. Until then, pheasants are on the menu.

Great post, and thanks for sharing it with us. I remember when my father took me hunting when I was a child. He would put me on stand, and walk to bush around me putting on small drives for whitetail deer. We hunted the continent for big game, and have taken many trophy animals together. The tables have certainly changed... my father is now 85 years old, and has replaced knees and a few other health issues. He can no longer accompany me on big game hunts. Since I introduced him to long range shooting, we spend our time shooting groundhogs all summer. He has been quite successful with his longest kill at 820 yarsd this summer. I posted a thread in the varmint hunting section about the hunt.
I cherish every moment in the field with my Dad, and realize that it may be our last hunt together.
I too feel the pride, joy and sense of accomplishment when he makes a kill at long range. Probably the same way he felt when I shot my first animals when I was just a boy.
Cherish the time you spend with him.

Great story, I still get to hunt with one of my boy's the other is out of state. I have always loved hunting and doing it with family puts it on another level. Congratulations on a great hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.