My brass does not fit chamber

Okay in the picture you can see slight marks on the body by the pen point and bullet tip. That is where pressure point are. This is a loaded round full length sized with the same die. It will not chamber at all. It measures at the base .500 also.

I doubt a "small base" die is going to squish in enough where you point to high up on the case body to ever rid it of the memory that that brass has formed of having been fired in somebody else's apparently much more cavernous chamber, to ever have that brass running well in your chamber.

If you're gonna buy something, buy the ~ $38 Hornady Headspace Gauge Tool which is a comparator body and five bushings with five different size orifices corresponding to the five most common case shoulder datum line diameters (use .420" for 6.5x284) and measure the case head the shoulder datum lengths so you'll know what you're dealing with now, and from now on.

Okay, so this is my decision from the knowledge you all have shared and from local Shooters. I have purchased a Redding small base 6.5-284 norma die. It will be here in about a week. I will also purchase a shellholder and take 1 or 2 thousandths from the top of it. It not going to hurt having this items on hand anyways. I will post the results @ week and a half. Thank you all for your help.
Steve

FYI, a 40 S&W case and a dial caliper can be used to measure the shoulder setback on the cheap. Place the 40 S&W case over the neck and measure the overall length with the dial caliper, check the difference from a fired case to a resized case.

Okay folks,.
The small base die showed up yesterday. It worked great! All brass that I ran through it chambered great. Thanks for all the help you great people.
Sincerely,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.