My Arizona rifle Coues Deer

Very nice buck!! Congratulations!!

I have a question regarding the coues deer, however. My grandfather grew up and hunted in the southeastern corner of Arizona, outside of Bisbee, in the Mule Mountains. He's been gone for 30 years now, but I remember as a youngster that he would refer to hunting "fan tail" deer, along with muleys. I can only assume that these "fan tail" deer were actually coues deer. Anybody have any input on this topic?

korhil78, darn good story + a clean job; that cold of yours must have got the proverbial boot because you look very well for the victory picture. Hmm... now if you could bottle that you may have something. Enjoy the venison.

korhil78, darn good story + a clean job; that cold of yours must have got the proverbial boot because you look very well for the victory picture. Hmm... now if you could bottle that you may have something. Enjoy the venison.

Well, I think it was the excitement of getting such a nice buck that helped out. Took me two weeks to get over the stupid cough. The venison is all cut up and in the freezer.

WildRose, I already have a guy that does my taxidermy but thanks for the reference! I will be chasing the Muleys while they are in the rut this January during archery season. Should be pretty fun.

Very nice buck!! Congratulations!!

I have a question regarding the coues deer, however. My grandfather grew up and hunted in the southeastern corner of Arizona, outside of Bisbee, in the Mule Mountains. He's been gone for 30 years now, but I remember as a youngster that he would refer to hunting "fan tail" deer, along with muleys. I can only assume that these "fan tail" deer were actually coues deer. Anybody have any input on this topic?

MuleyThumper, I have never heard them called "fan tail" deer but I would imagine that the coues deer is the same deer that your grandfather is talking about. The coues deer is a species of whitetail deer and will raise their tail up in the air and it will wave side to side as they run which could resemble "fanning".

Exceptional Coues, I hunted 36B a few years ago killing a much smaller buck between Amado and Arivaca.

Muleythumper, yes I've heard old timers refer to coues as fan tails. I'm sure that's what your grandfather was hunting.

Thanks Plinker and Korhil. I figured the same. I must be a term that was used years ago, as I don't believe my grandfather hunted much past the 1960s. Most of his hunting was done from the late 20s through the 50s.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.