My 6,5 mm powerhouse, the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag.

This 6.5 Messner looks like a great round. good luck with it?
And a very nice looking rifle as well. What action is it built on?

The whole rifle is (factory) manufactured, with several extra features, by Voere /Austria. The bolt action used is their common, so called LBW - action. Got famous on the sniper rifles X 3 + 4, which also can be used with laser ignition instead of ordinary primers.

The whole rifle is (factory) manufactured, with several extra features, by Voere /Austria. The bolt action used is their common, so called LBW - action. Got famous on the sniper rifles X 3 + 4, which also can be used with laser ignition instead of ordinary primers.
I've never heard of laser ignition, I just looked it up, Very cool... like James Bond stuff

137 @ ~3200 is potent medicine! Although, there are a handful of 6.5's already that will meet or exceed that. .264 WM, 6.5 Sherman, 26 Nosler, 6.5x270 Wby and 6.5-300 WBY.

137 @ ~3200 is potent medicine! Although, there are a handful of 6.5's already that will meet or exceed that. .264 WM, 6.5 Sherman, 26 Nosler, 6.5x270 Wby and 6.5-300 WBY.

The thing is that I only use 4000 bar of pressure for the current load, but can go up another 400 bar (4400 bar max. pressure) if necessary or desirable. 3300 fps aren't an issue, but don't make sense to me. Accuracy is by far the most important feature. BTW, my rifle has "only" 25' of bbl. 26' alone would exceed velocity with approximately 45 fps.

Last edited:
Over a long time I have been quite critical of the caliber 6,5 mm regarding hunting of larger / large game, because I had been convinced that most of the available cartridges were marginal concerning terminal energy. Very accurate, but that was it for me. Things changed dramatically when I learned about the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag. Invented by Joseph Messner from Alsace / France this cartridge met all the requirements I demanded. (Ultra) flat trajectory, superb accuracy, relatively light on the shoulder (corresponds approx. to the recoil of a 280 Rem / 7 x 64) and lots of terminal energy. I ordered a rifle from Mr. Messner himself, an Austrian made Voere LBW Luxus. Hand - lapped LW SS - barrel of 63 cm / 25' length and with a special "throat" corresponding to the 6,5 x 65 RWS for more durability. I'm using a monumental copper bullet of 137gr / BC 0,68, which also was invented by Mr. Messner himself. COAL 85 mm, 77gr Swiss RS 80 powder. MV 982 m/s or 3222 fps at 4050 bar / 58740 psi. At 300 m the bullet is still travelling with 852 m/s - 2795 fps and delivering a striking 3216 Joules of energy. Following some pictures of the rifle, cartridges and the target of the first (!) three fired rounds / 100 m right after load development. Mountain hunting in a new dimension.

That is a pretty as a rifle gets. Art work. Gotta love the Euros and their barrel sling lugs. Id be proud to own it.

upload_2019-3-26_10-16-21.png

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.