My 2010 Trophy Elk

Long Time Long Ranger

elk005.jpg

This is my elk trophy for this year. Just a picture. And I hope he is around next year. Rifle season is over now and to my knowledge he is still alive. I have been so busy finishing up my house since returning from Alaska not much time for hunting. I backpacked in for the last two days of archery elk season to try and get a 280-320 class herd bull with my bow. First day I called in three that size to 10-20 steps for easy shots. Problem is I got greedy. This big guy had all the cows and when I would call the 280-320 satelite bulls were all over me. I would have to shut up and lay still hoping they wouldn't see me or smell me. One time I had a nice 6x6 raking his antlers on one side of a spruce while I was hid under the other side. I got to greedy and wanted the big one. I snapped this picture through my telephoto just before dark on the first evening when there was no chance of getting him closer than 110 yards because to many elk were in the way.

I wasn't concerned because I knew I would get him the last day with all day to work him. Two more mature bulls joined the herd that night as I listenned to the bugling from my tent. Middle of the night wolves started howling and the elk went silent. Wolves chased the elk that night and by daylight there wasn't an elk around in the drainage. I hunted hard all day and right at sunset, three miles from camp, I saw two cows and a 310 class 6x6 bull step into a meadow. They were 800 yards from me the wrong way from camp. I had time to go shoot him before dark but I was three miles from a trail in terrible rugged deadfall country. I was still upset with the wolves and let the bull walk. If I had shot him it would have been dangerous all night getting out of there by myself with a bad leg. I decided to go home and start back work on the house. I will get him next year when I have more time.

I do have an antelope tag good till this weekend and a deer tag if I get time to use it. I also have a buffalo tag for this year and hope to use it sometime before December 31. Hope to get time and put something on the ground.

I forgot to put in the main reason I didn't shoot the last one I saw. A big grizzly walked through a meadow about 300 yards from me just before I saw the last bull at sundown. I thought all night through remote rugged country covered in bloody elk meat and a grizzly on my ridge. I have a bow. I decided to leave.

Last edited:
I am proud of anyone with enough guts to hold out for "the big boy" when there is a reasonable chance of connecting. You gambled on getting Mr. Big & lost but you would have kicked yourself if you shot a smaller bull & then saw the one you wanted waiting to be shot. It's important to know what is a trophy FOR YOU. While a 300" bull would thrill many, it wouldn't have thrilled you. Hunt is about eating, and it's also about the thrill. Without the thrill few would travel past the closest grocery store on their hunt.

Thanks Len, Buano and Kiwi. It was a lot of action packed into the last two days of the season. I wish I could have hunted more of the season. Buano your analogy is right on. I have killed quite a few elk and some big ones. Once I saw the big bull in the herd there was no doubt it was the thrill of hunting him or nothing. I would have kicked myself for sure if I had shot one of the nice 6x6 bulls. They were very nice and what I went over there to shoot. But when I realized a huge bull was in there I would have always been dissapointed had I shot a smaller one. I am perfectly content and had a great time. When you trophy hunt though sometimes your trophy is a picture and/or memories of the one that got away. It keeps me excited and dreaming of next year.

Now that's an Elk.

I grew up north of Jackson Hole but now live over in Idaho. That's one of the things I miss - seeing the big elk like that. Great story and picture - best of luck to you next year.

Carry some bear spray if you can't have a firearm during bow season! I know, the "gun" experts say it won't work, but considering a bears nose is more sensitive than the best bloodhounds nose - spray is extremely effective.

Holy Crap Yeah! He's awesome and the only way you'll kill him is if you pass the smaller ones. Good on you and good luck for the rest of the year. I hope you punch you tag on him next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.