My 100lb plan for 2016 elk hunt

Interesting thread and hope the OP achieves his goals. A couple of random thoughts regarding guys I have hunted with over the years and my own experiences. I've had two non hunters who were avid mountain and road biking athletes. They wanted to tag along to "experience" a hunt with me on a couple of occasions. They never stopped for air and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the outings. I mean it was kind of amazing to me and they weren't young guys. Lean body mass and excellent cardio shape.

At 6'7" with 230 pounds on my frame, I am moving about 60 more pounds of body mass then they were as well. I'd like to think that I could move weight off the hill easier than them, but I think they could easily just carry smaller loads multiple times off the mountain.

So I guess if I was picking an ideal mountain body, which a guy can't do, it would be around 6 foot tall and maybe 175 pounds. Since we can't do that, my plan this year is to hit the bike much harder than years past and do light weights and high reps while lifting.

Good luck to the OP and the others who posted. Merry Christmas as well.

Work out has been non existent for the last three weeks. I'm just going to try to break even until the first of the year. Then I'm going to switch over to endurance and cardio. I haven't weighed but I suspect i will be back to the weight I started at by the first. It a only takes a few weeks for me to gain back what I've taken three months to lose. At least I will have retained the new muscle I've built so far

If you want to be successful in any program, break it down into smaller more manageable goals. It is too easy to find "Failure" in a program if the goal is too large and difficult to obtain. Hold yourself accountable and then get a partner who you are accountable too. This makes it harder to jam out of a workout session.

Workouts do not have to be long. They can be short and high intensity. High intensity interval workout only takes 20 min and can be done on just about any day.

Don't worry about your weight. Set a goal of at least 3 workouts this week and get back at it.

I did a large weight loss once. 90 lbs in 3 months. Lots of cardio. I was younger then. I think more than the cardio it was how and when I ate. Small meals. Nothing after 1800. NOTHING. No booze. None. Now much older, low impact cardio like spinning 3 days a week. Snowshoe or walking with the Brittany's. Weighing myself a lot was counter productive. I think that only works for Michael Phrlps types. Think about impact. If you get hurt you can't train. Move to of any kind is your friend. Any good that is white is your enemy, white flour, white sugar even white veggies aren't the best. Venison and salads. Chicken and salad. You can't cut out carbs and train. That's bull. But you can limit them. Good luck

That about sums it up right there. . I'm still whacking away at it, I have changes my game plan to pretty much exactly what you described. Small meals chicken, salads, elk meat, brown rice and oatmeal, black beans. Carbs early in the day and I've started running and have drastically reduced my recreational ddrinking. Hopefully in another month or so i will have a good progress report for yall

So I guess if I was picking an ideal mountain body, which a guy can't do, it would be around 6 foot tall and maybe 175 pounds

Wow, that's me! :)

I'm going to tell that cute woman that lives with me that her husband has a perfect body according to an expert on the internet.

Maybe then she'll let me have a 2nd piece of pie once a month.

Last edited:
Wow, that's me! :)

I'm going to tell that cute woman that lives with me that her husband has a perfect body according to an expert on the internet.

Maybe then she'll let me have a 2nd piece of pie once a month.

And we all know that everything on the Internet is 100% true.

Kudos to anyone who is trying to improve their health for whatever reason. And there is a neat workout program out there called the "One push-up a day" challenge. Pretty interesting idea about maintaining motivation.

Thanks to the OP for starting this. I am active in the warmer months, but not so much in the winter. I seem to add a few pounds every winter that are harder and harder to take off.

This gives me some guidance in what to shoot for. THANKS!!

Thanks to the OP for starting this. I am active in the warmer months, but not so much in the winter. I seem to add a few pounds every winter that are harder and harder to take off.

This gives me some guidance in what to shoot for. THANKS!!

Put down the knife and fork and step away from the table :D

Put down the knife and fork and step away from the table :D

I really think the biggest problem is eating too late in the day. Typically I wasn't eating until 8pm or later. In the summer, when it got dark out at almost 10 (I'm on the far western edge of EST zone) I would be outside doing stuff until dark, then think about eating.

I manage farm ponds, stock fish, treat aquatic weeds, etc. and run like crazy when it's warm out. Not much to do when the ponds are all froze over.

Having a calorie guide will help. Also as of the first of the year I try to not eat anything after 7 pm, and really try to eat by 6. I'm usually up 'till midnight and get up between 5-6 am.

Having a calorie guide will help. Also as of the first of the year I try to not eat anything after 7 pm, and really try to eat by 6. I'm usually up 'till midnight and get up between 5-6 am.

Gotta be careful with not getting enough sleep. I struggle with this, and I think most of us do. You don't recover as fast from workouts and it's been proven that the brain tells you that you're hungry when you are really tired .... so you eat too much. All around it's just tough on your body when you don't get enough sleep.

Good luck to everybody trying to stay in shape and be healthy!

Having been where the OP was and trying to get into a better condition ( I won't say 'shape' as round IS a shape ;) ) I started a fitness program. I started with an hour on the treadmill and an hour of weights. I had good instructors along the way and they were a bit shocked when I told them I didn't care what I WEIGHED but wanted to be in condition for the mountains and normal stamina.
I started out at 6' 280 lbs and got down to 215 lbs (lighter than I was when I graduated college). I changed to working specific muscle groups each day, 5 days a week. When I went on my hunt each of the next 2 years, I'd dropped from 26% body fat to 9% body fat, was doing interval training on the treadmill of a 5% grade @ 9 mph for 15 minutes then 15 at 5% @ 4MPH.
Fast forward and after leaving that company I put the weight back on with a vengeance. I ballooned up to 358 lbs (358 is a nice caliber, not a nice body).
I've been doing cardio only for the past 5 years. Nothing major, just 3x a week at 3 mph. I'm now down to 258 lbs.
The OP is on the right track IF he'll keep at it. I've learned you HAVE to make the time.

A college buddy of mine that played football in college at a playing weight of 280 lbs standing 6' 5" then showed up at my workplace at 6' 5" and 190. I asked him if he was on any sort of diet or work out. His response was he did one type of work out - he pushed himself away from the table.

My dedication has not been what it should be recently and I just can't seemto get back on the wagon . I'm going to try to gwt back at it though. I drew my tag and have paid for the hunt so I am running out of time and I am going to have to really get back on the right track

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.