Muzzleloader accuracy?

JE Custom

Hence why I said use a 58 cal----- 110+ of 2F and it does the job.

If every anecdotal story about shots, hours of game tracking, non expanding projectiles, ect. were the basis of our choices then everyone should throw their stuff in the trash can because I can find a story of at least one "failure" for any combination possible within ML, long range hunting, or BH.

I understand the "traditionalist" get all sappy eyed and the in-liner's feel they are just "extending their season" but I still think these seasons were made for true "primitive" weapons.

I think I will go and glue some more feathers on my 300 gr "shaft" and get ready for bow season.-----

Mule

MULE

I think it's great that you are a traditionalist and I totaly agree with you
about the way the seasons are watered down with gadgets that are not
primitive (like scopes) But as EDGE said there is nothing new about
Inlines.

And to go one step further There are no Primitive weapons made today
they are all made of modern materials, modern manufactureing methods,
all modern components are fired in it, so is it a primitive weapon. I think
Not.

I feel the same way about archery season , some states allow crossbows
with "scopes"

I recently went to colorado on a bow hunt and found out that they allow
muzzel loader season to run concurrent with bow season. well let me
tell you ,I'm fearless but that scares the hell out of me. so the hunt
ended early.

So just like you I'm expressing "my" opinion and thats what this website is
all about hopefully we have all helped Smoakallen to make the best
decision for the intened use. Hunting or paper.

Another good thread
J E CUSTOM

When I want to get primitive I just run them down and club them to death :D

Seriously though , I can see where some folks will get upset about the limits of "primitive weapons" hell where I hunt in MS you can use an H&R single shot chambered in 45-70 !! and topped with a scope of your choice , but our deer season runs from October through Febuary and still we have to many deer , in this case I don't care what folks shoot them with what ever it takes to get the numberes under control , but in areas where the season is only a few weeks long I can understand some guys point.

My knight shoots a 44 cal with sabot with 110 pyrodex the best. I've tried many different loads and bullets but this is my load.

As suggested, clean between shots and go with a heavier projectile. Said projectile should be as near caliber size as possible for best accuracy.

If you're really interested in groups, I'd drop down to 85 grains loose powder and work up. I don't recall if you said anything about Powerbelts, but you don't want them. They can work great, but they way the belt is fastened doesn't always hold enough for consistent accuracy.

Now for the OT stuff:
Personally I don't expect much out of MLs. There's so many variables. Its used as a low harvest rate management tool for a reason. If you're expecting a ML to give you better results than a .44 center-fire handgun, you're eventually going to be disappointed.

Further OT: Why don't they quit wasting our time with these method-induced low harvest seasons and just extend rifle? Or allow three-inch barreled revolver with metallic sights so we can avoid all the extra expense of shotguns, bows and MLs? People complain about the lack of hunter participation and then turn around and make it more difficult just to be allowed in the woods.

In my experience, the flattest long-range loads will be found with either the 195gr Dead Center from Precision Rifle, the 220gr .40 Dead Center, or the .40 200gr Shockwave.

In my guns, the deciding factor was velocity. Precision Rifle bullets are 100% soft lead, and they lose accuracy between 1800-2000 fps. I could push the 200gr Shockwave over 2100fps with 110gr 777 and get superior trajectory out to 400yds.

I have NEVER shot a muzzleloader that maintained accuracy up to 150gr. If I were hunting very large or dangerous game at closer range, I'd shoot a heavy bullet over max charge and give up some accuracy. But I've taken deer out to nearly 300yd, targets to 400yds, so I want max accuracy and I get this at 110gr 777. Only testing your gun will tell. I shoot Omegas, however I know a couple guys with Encores that max out accuracy at only 85gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.