accuracy

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Enzo, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

After trying several differernt bullets (accubonds , barnes,berger) and powders I have H 414 and bergers shooting 1/4 moa at 100 yrs out of a 300wsm A-Bolt stalker with Boss and no alterations I bought back in 2003 i think . Is this what is expected from from everyone on this site and should I expect this out of all my rifles ? These are not heavy barrell guns or did i just hit it right with dumb luck?

2. mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner Well-Known Member

Well, if it were me and my rifle was shooting .25 moa, I wouldn't really care why.
    Go with it!

Randy

3. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

If you were to expect that kind of accuracy with every rifle, guys would almost never find a load they are satisfied with and would develope "tinkeritis". The kind of accuracy I expect out of a rifle depends on it's role. Is it a 1000 yard deer rifle or a 600 yard plinker? I'm more then happy with 1/2 MOA from a factory rifle. The one rifle I've had built by a gunsmith I expect more from it as well. Kirby told me 1/2 MOA or better. I expected better and got it.
    Some guys will tell you that 100 yard groups mean nothing. I disagree with that. It's a darn good start. Match that with a chronograph and you got the makings of a winner. If you are shooting 1/4" groups at 100 and the load has a low extreme spread then I don't see the rifle shooting worse at longer ranges. That (to me) would be shooter induced error. It also says something about your shooting, if you can hold that good a group consistently you have the basics of marksmanship down. You are off to a good start. Now go see how YOU do at longer ranges.

4. reelamin

reelamin Well-Known Member

A true .25 from any rifle is superb....a stocker with sporter weight barrel is top 5 stuff. Good on you. All three of the 300WSM's I load for best loads for accuracy and velocity are with H414.