Muzzlebreaks?

CPerkins

I am looking at muzzlebreak options and have seen several that look good, but I am confused on the removable breaks. Won't that effect the impact of your shot when it is removed and the thread protector is on? Any recommendations for a type of break would be appreciated as well

A properly installed muzzle brake will not have an effect on the rifles accuracy. However when its removed and the thread protector is installed the POI might change.

As you've mentioned there are many good brakes. If you plan on removing the brake frequently a Vias. or KDF brake is probably a good choice since it is not indexed to the barrel. The ports are 360* around the barrel. Brakes that vent only on the sides of the barrel have to line up correctly. If they are removed frequently they might go out of proper alignment and cause problems. Only downside to a brake that's vented 360* is they kick up a lot of junk when shooting prone.
AG

any time any weight is added or removed from the barrel especialy at the end their is a good chance that your groups will change , this comes from the change in the barrel harmonics. If you just remove 1/4" of barrel length at a time you will see a differance in group size.

I have seen guns shoot a particular load very well without a brake and when a brake is put on the groups would open , now it only took a minnor change in the load to get the groups back down. I have also seen a gun that shoots 1" groups with a load drop the groups down to sub 1/2" when a suppressor was added.

So the bottom line is yes their is a good chance that you rifle will change its grouping habits with loads worked up for a barrel with a brake and without, but adding a brake to a rifle "PROPERLY" would make one shoot any worse , and generaly if its a good desgine that doesen't blow alot of crap in your face your groups will shrink becasue the gun kicks less

[ QUOTE ]
any time any weight is added or removed from the barrel especialy at the end their is a good chance that your groups will change , this comes from the change in the barrel harmonics. If you just remove 1/4" of barrel length at a time you will see a differance in group size.

I have seen guns shoot a particular load very well without a brake and when a brake is put on the groups would open , now it only took a minnor change in the load to get the groups back down. I have also seen a gun that shoots 1" groups with a load drop the groups down to sub 1/2" when a suppressor was added.

So the bottom line is yes their is a good chance that you rifle will change its grouping habits with loads worked up for a barrel with a brake and without, but adding a brake to a rifle "PROPERLY" would make one shoot any worse , and generaly if its a good desgine that doesen't blow alot of crap in your face your groups will shrink becasue the gun kicks less

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda of a stupid newbie question but when your groups open up after a muzzlebreak is applied how is the best way to adjust for that?

All that has happened is that the barrels harmonics have changed, you had to work up a load to get it to shoot before a brake was their all that is need is to find another load that the gun likes now , generaly just adding or subtracting a little powder gets it back.

Their are no stupid questions

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.