muzzle brakes effect accuracy?

jonado

I am considering rebarreling my Rem Sendero 300RUM in the future. I will likely go with a longer 30" heavy barrel. I am also considering a muzzle brake such as hollands QD brake. do muzzle brakes effect accuracy (make worse)?

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, not to any degree you can tell at least. My QD equipped 6.5/284 is a 1/4 MOA gun, given the loads/conditions/driver required.

Others who compete in BR type events do far better, both with and without the use of breaks.

--------------------

[/ QUOTE ]

Muzzle brakes will affect accuracy inasmuch as you are adding a weight to the end of the barrel so it will effect tune but it is not a detriment to accuracy.
Depending on the accuracy capabilitys of the rifle you may not notice a difference.
As BB said it may help because it will help eliminate flinch.

Ditto all the above.

A brake does not affect the accuracy of the rifle 1 iota. Put the rifle (before and after the brake) in a machine device and you'll see.

However, when a shooter is put behind the rifle (with the correct brake for the end use) you'll always out shoot yourself as compared to shooting w/o the brake. And will continue to do so. Pretty strong words but, in this case, my opinion and experience is pretty strong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

In alot of calibers, the felt recoil is cut in half or close to it. My old 7mm rem mag went from 20.87 ft/lbs to about 10.54 ft/lbs after the brake was installed.

Just a reminder.... always wear your ear plugs and muffs cause it will put a thumping on you !

[ QUOTE ]
In alot of calibers, the felt recoil is cut in half or close to it. My old 7mm rem mag went from 20.87 ft/lbs to about 10.54 ft/lbs after the brake was installed.

Just a reminder.... always wear your ear plugs and muffs cause it will put a thumping on you !

[/ QUOTE ]
How did you measure the recoil?

A lot of things factor into recoil, stock design, weight of the rifle, the recoil pad, etc, also consider the person's tolerance for it. This calculator gives you a number, but won't calculate the effectiveness of a muzzle brake. Generally speaking the harder the recoil the better a brake works.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

I guess I'm going to be the contrarian here. I have 2 rifles with muzzle breaks and both shoot worse with the break on. One is 300WM and the other a 300RUM. Both built by the same smith (who also put the break on) and when I take the break off I get groups that are half the size of groups with the breaks on. The smith said he had no idea why that would be.

Stormrider,
Does the brake happen to have a distance in front of the crown before it starts into the brakes baffles? Just curious. I have one rifle that the brake mates up very near the muzzle and I have not noticed an accuracy decrease. The other has a 1/4 inch jump before it gets to the first baffle and I noticed two things. Slight decrease in accuracy and it needs 1 moa more vertical at 1K with the brake installed. The sprayed built up burnt powder residue on the muzzle tip is like concrete when I am done shooting it and I don't use the brake on that one anymore.

Thanks,
HPA

[ QUOTE ]
I guess The smith said he had no idea why that would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, have an idea that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The muzzle brake is a Vais.

HoytmanPA, there is a short space between the muzzle and the first right angle holes through to the outside that is maybe 1/4 inch. However there are 8 holes parallel to the bore line. Those holes start just after the muzzle. The break does not touch the muzzle and the area right in front of the muzzle acts like an expansion chamber. That space is probably 1/8 inch or less.

Stormrider,

This is JMO based on certain facts.

The BOSS system from Bowning has a muzzle brake and weights that can be moved towards or away from the action in order to fine tune the sine waves produced by the barrel vibration that in exchange would either open up or close the group size. The idea was to have the bullets either consitently leave the barrel at the peak of the sine wave or at the bottom (valley) of the sine wave.
Now, if you have a custom rifle shooting 1/4" without muzzle brake and then using the same load put a muzzle brake on it and spect to shoot the same does not quite dove tail... it may be possible but not to be expected. It may shoot worst, it may shoot better but not likely the same. We can play a bit with the powder charge and bring it back to shooting how it was if it shoots worse with the muzzle brake. It may be easier to see no difference in a factory rifle than would be in a custom rifle, the whole idea is that the Boss system works, and very well, and we know why it works then the other is easy to figure out.
I do want to hear opinions from you all, I hope I expressed my self clear enough.
Thanks... Eaglet

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.