Muzzle Brake install

backcountryguide

Is there someplace I can buy a brake and install myself? My barrel is already threaded 18x1 and im currently running a 338 surefire brake but the thing is huge and bulky. Just dont want to send it to the smith. Thanks for any info

It's metric? A ported brake would need to be timed and that typically requires a lathe but some people are using lock washers to accomplish that on their own. Otherwise you can do a standard drilled hole brake. No matter what the thread is it just comes down to finding someone with a tap for it.

Generally a brake does not to be indexed to the barrel. Peel off washers can be used to adjust the alignment. Some brakes do require indexing to the barrel, A brake that has a primary design to eliminate muzzle jump will push the muzzle off in the wrong direction if not properly done. I feel that all brakes should be completed and installed by the manufacturer of the devise. A nice smooth seamless transition from barrel to brake that looks like it was machined to the barrel because it was. A real good brake will be designed with the actual barrel length, contour and cartridge in mind. Although a prepackaged brake will reduce recoil very well as far as accuracy and looks is concerned they will not compare with a custom one!

Tikkashooter the rifle this brake needs to go on is a reminton 700 with varmit barrel. I like the looks of that break. Can you tell more about it and how I can get one. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.