Muzzle Brake for .670 dia barrel

excaliber

I'm having a semi custom build done on my Rem 700 action(300 Win Mag) with a Bartlein #3 5R barrel.
This barrel has a muzzle diameter of only .670 inches.

I've been looking at brakes for it but the pickings are pretty slim. I'd like a round brake that will be close to the diameter of the barrel, if such a thing is possible.

I'm trying to stay away from the howitzer, tank looking slabbed brakes.

What are you guys using on a barrel similar to this one?

I have a custom 300 win mag with a #4 Hart barrel... .657 diameter at the muzzle. I just bought a Terminator T2 brake and will drop it off to get the brake installed next week.

Here's a pic of the brake up next to the barrel (not installed). Th O.D. Of the T2 is .828". The brake is very light and I think looks great on a hunting/sporter weight rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 216
A lot of effective MBs to choose from. I'd go stay away from radial designs (holes all around) and stay with ports on the sides and no holes at the bottom.

I have a Holland's QD in one of my .300 WM with .625" at the muzzle.

I was just about to say the Mini Magnum Muscle brake from Ryan Pierce and Piercision Rifles. It's built specifically for the sporter weight barrelled magnums.

I'm running three #3 bartleins. All are braked with Hunter Brakes made by Charlie Robertson of Score-High Gunsmithing in Albuquerque, NM. Four ports on sides and four smaller ports on top. I have been happy with reduced recoil. These are reasonably priced and have done a good job for me. I have used radial brakes and do not like the dust they kick up.

This is the brake I use on my 28 Yukon (similar to 28 nosler). It works very well and is on a .660" bbl. built by Trevor at Cloud Peak Gunworks. I had him build these brakes for me because I wanted a brake that was flush to bbl contour. He builds 2 ports as well that I have used on 6.5 saums.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 178
Thanks for the info. I know that having a .670 muzzle dia is likely on the smaller end for most of you guys. This is going to be a hunting rifle not what you guys consider a long range gun.

I'm trying to find a brake that's as close to my muzzle dia if possible. I just like the way it looks.

I just bought a 4 port .750 dia from Home Page ( forum member idaho cdt ) I just got it about a month ago . I've only shot it a few times but I'm very happy with how well it works . my bbl dia is .560 . I had the .750 brake tapered to blend into the bbl . it does not look bad at all . this is on a 300 wby, shooting 200 gr bullets , burning about 90 gr of powder . I took a radial brake off, the muzzle jump was ridiculous .

I would contact Kevin Cram at Montour County rifles. He has a brake similar to muscle that is slimmer.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.