Muzzle brake and bedding

alextm33

Hello, i have a weatherby vanguard 2 backcountry 300 win mag and am wondering if anyone has or heard of anyone putting muzzle brakes on this gun? i know the barrel is very thin but i dont know much about how much barrel thickness you need and what the best muzzle brakes are?also has anyone bedded the reciever on this gun.i know they come pillar bedded but just wondering if there was any succes with doing it?thanks

33, your Backcountry should benefit from a bedding job. Your barrel is a #2 contour like one my friend has which sports a Wby factory brake installed. The Backcountry is campaigned as a lightweight, therefore adding a brake and a little epoxy will obviously increase weight a bit. Perhaps this addition will enhance shooting comfort and accuracy. Good luck

I've bedded several Vanguards, always floating the barrel, and they do very well. In addition, there is no problem putting on a brake. You can have a Weatherby Accubrake installed, or another of your preference.

So, go ahead with both and I think you'll be happy.

Yeah im going to get the accubrake that is ceracoated to match the barrel and get it bedded.how are you guys free floating the barrels?are you just grinding down the pressure points up front?

33, sandpaper and wood dowel works for me. Go slow and check clearance often.

Ok.im going to get the brake installed and shoot it to see the groups and go from there.i took the stock apart and it is pillar bedded and is glass bedded by the recoul lug.i havent shot this gun for groupa yet just shooting to make sure its sill on during hunting season so after i get the brake install ill see how it groups.

Ok.im going to get the brake installed and shoot it to see the groups and go from there.i took the stock apart and it is pillar bedded and is glass bedded by the recoul lug.i havent shot this gun for groupa yet just shooting to make sure its sill on during hunting season so after i get the brake install ill see how it groups.

I would offer that 1) it has aluminum pillars in the stock, but only at the action screws, and 2) there is a daub of off-white glue at the recoil lug that will, in my experience, not last too long. It is definitely not glass bedded.

So it would be better to just fully bed it and free float the barrel while im at it instead of waiting around trying it all out before

A nice stress free bedding and fully free floated barrel never hurts. I would do it now and save the time and expense of shooting it without it being done. Vanguards are known for good accuracy. The brake will help accuracy and make it a lot nicer to shoot.

What do you guys recommend for bedding compount.im going to have to order it in because i cant find any anywhere near me here in newfoundland.?

McMillan and a lot of pros prefer the superior compressive strength you get from MarineTex.

+1, if you will be bedding it there are lots of videos on bedding, just google it. Marine-Tex 2oz is $9.99 here, but at some boat shops I've seen it close to $15. Many use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent. The gray is said to be stronger than the white Marine-Tex. Good luck

Yes i will do the bedding.been watching alot of videos and it doesnt seem that hard.i never looked in town yet for the marine tex but ive googled it and on ebay and amazon its 50 - 80 bucks.that seems like alot.cabelas has the miles gilbert bedrock epoxy bedding kit.is that any good?

33, usually only a 2oz Marine-Tex gray is needed. $15.99 + ship at Brownells. What is your postal code there? I'll get one here @ $9.99 and ship it if it's legal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.