Muley Special

McMillan

<strong>Official Sponsor of LRH</strong>
[FONT=&quot]Coming Summer 2012. McMillan Limited Edition Muley Special. Custom serial number Muley 01-06. There will be only 6 rifles built. (One in left hand)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here's where you guys come in. I have a basic idea of where I want to go, but I will give you guys the option of suggesting what you think the Muley Special should be.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are my thoughts. I (am going to build it on a Dynasty stock. It is basically a Sako Hunter style developed specifically for my rifles. It's a smaller slimmer version of our Outdoorsman which is the rifle that LTLR is testing. It is the most popular hunting stock we have ever offered, thus the choice. Carries good, points extremely well and will slide in and out of a pack or scabbard easily.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am leaning toward the 7mmWSM since it is not offered in any of our standard rifles. The reasoning behind this is from our benchrest experience the PPC type short fat cases tend to be more consistent when it comes to powder burn and velocities. The drawback is they are notoriously finicky. When you compare data from the 7MM Rem mag and the 7MM WSM it's pretty much a wash. So I asked myself, why a WSM and not the Rem Mag? 6 ounces can not be the right answer. It's hard to believe anyone can tell the difference between a 6lb 12oz and 7lb 2 ounce rifle after carrying them for a day. As a friend told me, "after carry a rifle all day in the mountain, they are all too heavy".[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I think I will use a long action so that I don't have the restrictions placed on the standard WSM due to required COAL. This way I should be able to maximize the potential of the cartridge utilizing the more consistent powder burn and come up with a great shooter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am considering a 26"#4 fluted stainless match grade barrel with polygon rifling (increases barrel life and velocity in most cases).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So now it's your turn, let me have it.[/FONT]

What is the color scheme plan for this rifle? Will the metal remain stainless in color and the stock be black? swirl?

Considering where I've hunted muleys, I like the desert tan and sage colors. Not necessarily providing the pattern itself but Desert Shadow looks very nice to me. I like the colors:

Redirect Notice

What trigger? Jewel? can it be set to one pound? Having never owned or ordered a McMillan rifle, is ammo included in the package? Is the rifle broken in? Test loads?

I personally think the 7WSM is a fine choice and it is, for unknown reasons, a bit of an underdog but for balance of recoil, powder use, and the "short/fat" case, it makes perfect sense.

I think a stainless metal with a color scheme stock is very easy on the eyes. Love them. Will the LH be #1? :D

I apologize for my ignorance. Do you make your own barrels?

For color my first thought was something a little darker, Maybe a gray base with olive and black spec in a granite finish.

All of our hunting rifles come standard with a Jewell trigger. You can adjust them to about a pound but for liability purposes we will set them at a minimum of 2lbs.

Ammo is not included but we can provide ammunition that has been developed specifically for the rifle at a reasonable price.

Because we use stainless barrels and receiver we can do a stainless (bead blasted) finish but I am not keen on them, but I will give in to customers wishes as ling as it doesn't compromise the quality of the build.

If you place your order before I make the receivers I can make #01 left hand. #02 has already been spoken for.

We do not make our own barrels or triggers. That is why we use what in our opinion is the best on the market. For our standard hunting rifles we use Lilja and for our EOL line we use Schneider. Since the entire EOL line was designed and built around Berger bullets, and they are thin jacketted bullets and fly better with less deformation we use Schneider polygon rifled barrels. Both are match grade stainless barrels buttoned and hand lapped. We have been asked to build a rifle or two using Kreiger barrels but I have to admit I know their reputation but have not used many.

After we have gotten some feedback, I suspect a couple of weeks. I need to get it started in order to have them finished by hunting season.

Of the choices I would like the 7mm Rem Mag caliber. I use the same gun for Elk and Mule Deer a lot as both seasons are open at the same time in my area. I am waiting on LTLR for his report on The EOL and like the 300 RUM caliber. The 7 RUM and 7mm Dakota and 7STW are real popular with me also.

I like your idea of the darker stock. It will blend in well in all situations nicely. The 7mm WSM is also a great pick I believe. Another good one would be a 280 AI or a 280 Remington.! Two more great ones!! I imagine the barrel would be a 1 in 9? I truely wish I could afford something like that and kudo's to whoever buys one of them. They should be fantastic hunting rifles. The 7mm WSM is a great cartridge and it would work well for much larger animals also.

As soon as you get the first one built, we need pictures!!

David

Mr. McMillan, if you have a stock in mind with the colors you are writing about, do you have a picture you can post?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts