Mule deer in Campbell county, Wyoming?

joseph

Will be hunting antelopes in area 17 which is mostly Campbell county. We also have buck deer tags for area C and was wondering if we may get a chance at a mule deer while hunting antelope? Anyone hunted for both there before?

joseph

I've hunted in that area several years ago. Three of us were able to fill antelope and mule deer tags. It was a good year for game. C is a big area and there are usually plenty of deer. It makes a big difference what spot you are in. Best deer are on private ranches and you need access. I deer hunted C about 5 years ago and shot a small-medium 4X4 on public land. Good luck.

Three years ago region c changed it's boundarys so the last reply might not have been hunting in the same area.

It was the same area. I hunted before the Bighorns opened up. Don't know why the season in the mountains opens later than the flatlands.

Alot of the Big Horns arn't in region C anymore. Region C used to be alot bigger than it is now, most of region C turned into Y.

I'm putting in for region c and area 17 for a combo hunt deer and antelope this upcoming season. this will be my groups first time to hunt wyoming. joseph, how did your hunt go, and do you have any recommendations on places to stay, length of trip, and the need of trespass permits. I was looking into staying around gillette, but could sure use some help! thanks

jwcox3---Be aware that the bulk of Region C is private land and to really have a good hunt out in that area, especially for a first timer, I would strongly suggest you contact some ranches right now and lock up a place to hunt BEFORE you apply for a license or you will probably be sorry since license fees aren't refundable! You have until 3/15 to do your homework and apply online. I have seen an awful lot of people go out there and have a lousy trip because they didn't make the proper plans. I tell you this because I did that myself the first time in 1992 where you are talking about going. I skipped a year, did a lot of studying, and have been back out to Wyoming almost every year since 1994 over on the west side of the Big Horns.

Thanks top, I have changed our plans after talking to the biologists out there and some of the ranchers. Since it is going to be a first for us we have decided to put in for pronghorn in a high success area. I have a trespass fee set up once we draw. Since we are not putting in for deer we are just going to buy a point later so we can start planning on a better area with more quality public land available. We already made some reservations in gillette. Thanks again for the assistance.

That sounds like a great plan and a very good way to get your feet wet out there. Pronghorn are fun to hunt and there are lots of them out there right now. That area is quite different from where I'm going to suggest that you do some homework for your deer hunt. Take a look at Region Y and it probably won't even take a PP to draw your tag. There is a ton of public land (National Forest up north and BLM further south) on the west side of most of the units from the Montana line down through the Big Horns all the way to the couple smaller units at the south end. Elevations will vary from around 5,000' to almost 10,000' with great deer habitat pretty much everywhere along the whole east side of the Big Horns.

Our group of four got our tags and are set up to hunt with a tresspass fee during the first week of October south of Gillette. Should we put in for PP on Deer now or just try and put in for the draw next year without one?

I have also been considering Region C: but after doing some research it sounds like Region Y: area 28 might be where I'm headed. It is Southern part of the Big Horns. I would be interested in any opinions or advice anyone may have.

If you're going to get a deer tag for Region Y, your best bet is to go way down west and southwest of Kaycee in units 32, 33, and 163. Unit 28 doesn't have enough public land and/or deer to do a good DIY hunt there.

Okay. I was looking at a cabin there (28) and was planning on hunting in the forest service area in the big horn mountains. First time out west, is this not a good idea?

Trust me on this one! I've been hunting out there since 1994 and the mountain areas like you're talking about are more for elk and moose. The better deer hunting and terrain to hunt them in is down where I mentioned earlier west of kaycee over toward Barnum!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts