MRC actions???, Chris, Kirby,Shawn

7Rumloader

This may sound stupid but who makes them? I've never heard of them. Either way I happened upon one in stainless, long action with mag bolt face new in box and was wondering if they are any good?
I haven't bought it yet but may if they are worth having.

By the way what do they normally sell for??

If you are talking about the Montana Rifle Company actions, I am afraid that I have some rather negative info for you. I built 3 matching 243 WSSM's on ser # 0001, 0002 & 0003. I looked at the actions liked the features so I ordered 1 lh mag stainless action and a couple of rh actions. Here is a list of what I have seen from these 6 actions produced over a 2 year span ( that is how long it took to get some of them ):
1. while claiming to have a Winchester footprint to utilize stocks made for the Winchester they are not even close and require extra inleting of bottom metal, a short pillar and extra glass work along with some smaller details to make an HS stock fit. these things are fixable just not as advertised.
2. only 2 of 6 actions had the threaded portion of action to receive the barrel in the center of the action, the LH action was just short of .040" out of center.
3. This was the big one, the portion of the action where the scope bases mate up is like a roller coaster most have a hump right between the screw holes in the front especially, this caused me more troubles than I can relate until I noticed it and corrected the problem.

In short I can not recommend them and will never buy another one. The smiths that I know that have worked them have run into other problems as well and I have yet to here of anyone building a really accurate rifle on one.
Oh, if you still want to get ahold of them they are in Kalispell Mt. the owners name is Brian Sipe. It is unfortunate that these problems have occured it could have been a really good action all of the right ideas for a good solid utility action.
I have one rh action hanging on the wall where it will probably stay for ever because I just cannot bring myself to tell someone it is a good action.

Can't add much to what Shawn has already said except if you want a working rifle they are usible but for top accuracy and consistancy they are not the actions I would choose.

In fact I would rather build on a Factory push feed Win 70 for accuracy potential. Much cheaper as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks Shawn! I figured if they were any good I would have heard something about them. I knew one of the smiths here would have the scoop on them.
Thanks Shawn and Kirby!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts