Mountain rifle scope

JDBraddy

I'm a competition shooter, aside from a few rabbit/squirrell as a kid, have never really been hunting, but would like to. My rifles are match rifles for benchrest and F-Class, but decided to build a general purpose sporter, picked up a short actionTuebor Raider-Ti action and a manners elite hunter stock, was thinking about chambering in .284 Win. I want to keep it light, and all my scopes are big, high magnification target scopes, would appreciate some advice on choosing an appropriate scope, budget is around $1,000

Do you want FFP or SFP
What will be your closest shot? Farthest?
Please feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss different options. Our pleasure a site sponsor to assist
Doug

I had the same quest and went with the Nightforce SHV 4X14 50mm F1 MOA (also available in mils). It is made for what you are looking for. I have this scope mounted with Talley rings on a Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon chambered in 28 Nosler. I am an Elk hunter so a lighter/less recoil round maybe a better choice for your needs. Before I bought this rifle I was about to go the same route you did and really liked the McMillan Game Warden stock in their Edge technology.

Super light --Swarovski Z5 BT 3.5x18 or 2.4x12 BT (16 0z)

Lighter--zeiss V6 3x18 (22 oz)

Heavy--Bushnell LRHS 3x12 or 4.5x18 non illuminated (26oz)

All can be had for around a 1k to a bit more..my Z5 on my 7SAUM is good to about 650 on the BT turret...plenty for mountain hunting--the V6 has a ton of adjustment--so does the Bushnell...the Bushnell is the only FFP the rest are SFP...all good glass.

Building a mountain rifle is a game of ounces. You need to scrutinize everything. My last build I went with some heavier rings..but met my goal of under 8 lbs loaded...difference between the Z5 and the bushy is 10 0z...and that is significant...save where you can...

Last edited:
I'm a competition shooter, aside from a few rabbit/squirrell as a kid, have never really been hunting, but would like to. My rifles are match rifles for benchrest and F-Class, but decided to build a general purpose sporter, picked up a short actionTuebor Raider-Ti action and a manners elite hunter stock, was thinking about chambering in .284 Win. I want to keep it light, and all my scopes are big, high magnification target scopes, would appreciate some advice on choosing an appropriate scope, budget is around $1,000

If you are wanting a true mountain rifle then I would base your selection by weight. IMO a mountain rifle with scope should have a target weight of 7 lbs. Why bother with a Ti action and EH stock if you are going to put 1.5 lb. or heavier scope on it. Pick a target weight and then choose your scope. And yes, there are plenty of good lightweight scopes in the $1000 range.

This is always an interesting topic.

Classically, Mountain Rifles and Long Range rifles are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Some believe a mountain rifle should be 6lbs. LR rigs on the other hand are heavy, by necessity, and the scope really plays into the equation.

Personally I've found 7-1/2lbs to be the best compromise - much lighter and they become tricky to shoot well. Much heavier and I start to feel the weight. Anything over 7-3/4lbs feels like a heavy rifle (unless it's strapped to my back, and it's not much good back there)

.284 Win is a great choice. I've been pretty happy with the Vortex Razor LH. I have a 3-15x42 on my .280 rem - the scope weighs 16oz. The Leupold vx3 4.5-14x40 with side focus is popular, they are even lighter.

I used to run several vx3 2.5-8's (they have been replaced with Razor LH 1.5-8's and Bushnell 3-12x44 LRHS) I still run a fixed 4x Zeiss sometimes and have claimed wolves beyond 400yd with it.

I think there is a general trend toward buying Waaay more scope than a person needs. Fear is a great motivator in advertising - Don't miss the opportunity of a lifetime!!

In my experience however, marksmanship requirements in the mountains are about like hitting a basketball at 300yd. Anything beyond that is gravy.

...and who doesn't like gravy ;)

Last edited:
Are you planning on dialing or zeroing and just holding for shots out to 300 or so? VX5HD gets you 3-15 and accurate adjustments, but weighs in around 19 ounces. If that fits your weight goal, I'm happy with mine and would reccomend. If you're looking to go lighter, leupold, Swarovski, zeiss have smaller scopes with smaller zooms that get you lower weights. Leupold FX2 ultralight at 2.5 zoom gets you down to 6.5 ounces.
Really depends on what you're looking to do with it and how much weight you'll carry. My rifle in a manners stock with a rock creek #2 barrel at 26 inches and a vx5hd 3-15 on top comes in at just over 8 pounds loaded. For me, the added weight for the extra zoom and dialing was worth it. But I also went with a 26 inch barrel and a steel action, which adds weight too.

Why bother with a Ti action and EH stock if you are going to put 1.5 lb. or heavier scope on it.

So that you can put a better scope on that tracks, and is durable, while still staying light...

Not all of us want to give up superior LR optics for a 4-8 OZ weight saving, if shots are beyond 700 yards this is even more relevant.

So that you can put a better scope on that tracks, and is durable, while still staying light...

Not all of us want to give up superior LR optics for a 4-8 OZ weight saving, if shots are beyond 700 yards this is even more relevant.

Like I stated above there are plenty of lightweight scopes that meet this criteria.

Some believe 'mountain rifle' means shooting from one mountain to the next! :D

fIOEFvR.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.